• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Janet

Which country are you from?

What country are you from?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What country are you from?

Oooh hockey players, nice!! ;)

I know what you mean about mosquitoes, HJordan. They too are my least fave part, and we have a ton of them in the upper midwest lake country here. There's even a joke that the mosquito is our state bird, and that's not far off let me tell you!

I would move to NE in a heartbeat though. Last time I was out there we stayed in a lovely little town called Franconia, NH and had the best breakfast in the town next door, Sugar Hill. We even went to the home of Robert Frost and had a fun little tour. He lived there just a short time, but it was so neat to be standing in the same place he once was.

Don't get me started on the time he and some fellow hockey players decided to fix the roof... *mischievous grin* I almost sold tickets.

I certainly would've bought one, haha.

I do. I love my life. Of course, I'm heavily medicated, so...

Ah, so that's why... (I kid, I kid) We certainly are a heavily medicated generation. But it's good to enjoy life. You've only got one of 'em, after all.

Oooh hockey players, nice!! :lol:

I know what you mean about mosquitoes, HJordan. They too are my least fave part, and we have a ton of them in the upper midwest lake country here. There's even a joke that the mosquito is our state bird, and that's not far off let me tell you!

I would move to NE in a heartbeat though. Last time I was out there we stayed in a lovely little town called Franconia, NH and had the best breakfast in the town next door, Sugar Hill. We even went to the home of Robert Frost and had a fun little tour. He lived there just a short time, but it was so neat to be standing in the same place he once was.

Well, thanks for the info. I now know to stay far away from the upper midwest, haha :roll: I love NH! My parents used to take me to Maine every summer, and we would spend a lot of our time in NH. It was great going into town during July 4th to see the fireworks. And I loved going to the ocean there. We never saw Robert Frost's home, though. You'd think we would've since my mom is a book lover, too. Now I feel like asking the 'rents if we can go back up there one last time, haha.

I certainly would've bought one, haha.

Well, I'm not in business school for nothing, I can spot a profitable market miles away! *cracks up*

Ah, so that's why... (I kid, I kid) We certainly are a heavily medicated generation. But it's good to enjoy life. You've only got one of 'em, after all.

Migrane. 'Nuff said. *smiles*

I'm proud to say... I come from the land down under..(dun dun) where women go and men plunder (dun dun) can you hear, can you hear the thunder? (dun dun) you better run, you better take cover!

Well, I don't really, we moved here a couple of years ago. I was born in the Philippines.

Well, I'm not in business school for nothing, I can spot a profitable market miles away! *cracks up*

I can definitely see you being a business woman, haha. You seem like you'd be a tough negotiator.

Migrane. 'Nuff said. *smiles*

Ouch D:

I can definitely see you being a business woman, haha. You seem like you'd be a tough negotiator.

Aww, thank you! And not really, I just tend to confuse them by mixing three languages in one. *laughs* There's also a rather good example of me having been in the business school for too long, but as we're already way off-topic, I'll post that in my wonderful Off-Topic Thread (it's in the Members' Section)...

To get back to the topic, for now at least I live in Finland. Semi-officially, anyways. *laughs*

Ouch D:

Pretty much what I said.

What part of India are you from? I just moved from there to Singapore a couple of weeks ago.

I'm from England. I was born and raised in Cornwall by the seaside, but moved to Leicester to go to uni and ended up staying here :)

Which part of Cornwall are you from Kimmy?

Only 4 in the Republic! And one of those has disappeared off the face of the earth, and I don't know who the other two are.

I elect myself official BCF representative of the R.O.I. :)

We used to go on holiday to Hayling Island! :)

The last time I was there must have been about 15 years ago. Love the place.

Isn't it also the birthplace of windsurfing?

Glasgow, Scotland but I live on the outskirts of Glasgow now :)

We used to go on holiday to Hayling Island! :)

The last time I was there must have been about 15 years ago. Love the place.

Isn't it also the birthplace of windsurfing?

It is indeed, our one claim to fame. Most of the time when I tell people I'm from Hayling they look at me blankly and go "huh, where?". Even a few people from Portsmouth are like that, and they can see us across the water!

I can't see that we'd be all that exciting to visit. There's a sometimes-sandy beach and a falling-apart funfair, and that really is about it. Did you stay in a caravan or hotel/B&B?

It is indeed, our one claim to fame. Most of the time when I tell people I'm from Hayling they look at me blankly and go "huh, where?". Even a few people from Portsmouth are like that, and they can see us across the water!

Did you stay in a caravan or hotel/B&B?

We stayed in chalets at a holiday camp place. I was very young then - so it's a long time ago (:blush:). The name 'Silver Sands' is nudging my sub conscious!

My memories are very happy thinking about your little island - so thanks for bringing a good vibe to my week! :lol: