• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Janet

Which country are you from?

What country are you from?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What country are you from?

Ahahaha awesome.

Yeah to be fair Kerry is a beautiful county. I've got Rossbeigh Beach 20 minutes one way, Killarney 20 minutes another way, and I'm in a neat little valley near the mountains.

I like the city too though. Civilisation is a Good Thing. :lol:

I'm Scottish and was born at home in Partick, Glasgow. My parents returned to the Outer Hebrides when I was 2. Brought up there until I moved to Aberdeen after engineering college. Stayed there for 20 years until moving to the Borders area earlier this year.

I want to go to Scotland. I have a serious thing for Scottish accents. I had a scottish friend and I loved her accent.

the only Irish peeps I've ever met online are Northern Irish people

My best friend back home is Northern Irish, her mum and all her mum's side of the family are from Belfast :lol: She speaks with an Irish accent, but not as strong as it's been toned down from living in England much of her life but I think it's gorgeous :)

I was born in England, "down south" so my boyfriend says, in the city of Bath, then when we had been together for a while I moved up north to be with him in his home town of Lincoln

I live near Bath - it's a lovely city. :lol: So is Lincoln, although I always think of it as being East rather than North!

I'm from Zagreb, Croatia :) We are a very friendly people and we have so many wonderful cities and islands and I would recommend everyone who still wasn't here to come and see :lol:

My best friend back home is Northern Irish, her mum and all her mum's side of the family are from Belfast :lol: She speaks with an Irish accent, but not as strong as it's been toned down from living in England much of her life but I think it's gorgeous :)

Well the Northern Irish accent is verrrrry different to the general Republic accents, although they vary a bit too, from east to west, east being the lovely Dublin accent which I adore, and West being my area, and a terrible, terrible farmers accent. Its baaaad lol. Fortunately, I have a semi-English accent and don't sound like I'm from the West.

Northern Irish accents are nice, but to me they sound like just a variation of Scottish, and I prefer Scottish.

Having said that, I like ANY accent that doesn't sound like its from west Ireland =P East of Ireland, North of Ireland, England, Scotland etc. And Scandinavian accents! ... Don't ask.

I live near Bath - it's a lovely city. :) So is Lincoln, although I always think of it as being East rather than North!

I think he just says north because it's up from Bath I suppose! I'm coming home to visit in a few months and I can't wait! :lol:

Northern Irish accents are nice, but to me they sound like just a variation of Scottish, and I prefer Scottish.

Me too. I hate the norn iron accent! lol Its so harsh.. I cringe everytime I hear a NI accent on a tv or radio programme, it just doesnt sound nice at all. We do have a lot of different dialects up here too and we are from the north of the north so we sound a bit more countryfied and softer, but I have to agree with ya, I'd rather have Scottish than ours.

Ah I don't dislike it, I had a friend years ago from Belfast and I loved his accent. I think the reason I prefer the scottish is because its more distinct from Irish accents than the Northern accents. Like I love other Irish accents (dublin and so on) but they're still Irish, so I prefer Scottish. Scottish IS my favourite accent. I have a serious thing about Scottish men XD I adore the actor John Hannah hahaha. :D

I adore the actor John Hannah hahaha. :D

Me too:lurker:

Sliding Doors!

I love the way some Scots say 'James' :D Its like 'Jay-ems' - two syllables rather than one. Some Northerners here do it too. My Belfast friend was called James. I used to mimic his accent lol.

I am from UK Manchester :D Its good to see most of us are from the UK... at least there will be alot of posts throughout the day then hehe

I'm white English - born in Bushey, Herts but grew up in Surrey, now living in West Sussex.

Someone else in West Sussex, it's obviously a well read corner of the country!

Born and raised in U.S... moved this past February to St. Louis, Missouri .. then New York City .. now Bombay, India !

Someone else in West Sussex, it's obviously a well read corner of the country!

*cough* I dunno, you West Sussexians! Tut!

We're quite well read over here in East Sussex too! :D:lol: