All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Janet

• 4 weeks later...

I have to read this book this week for a history class, and I'm very encouraged! People really seem to like it! I'll let you all know what I thought of it when I finish it. :)

I think you will really enjoy it Sarah. It isn't very long but it paints a great picture not just of the soldiers out there fighting but of the other side. Makes you take a step back and realise that it was people just like us fighting, real people not just nations. It gives a bit of a reality check to the situation

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished All Quiet on the Western Front, I think it is one of those books that has got to be read. I'm not a fan of war books but this isn't just a book about war. It's more about the feelings of those caught up in the conflict. It is written from a German soldier's perspective, but it could just as easily been a British tommy. Young men that have yet to experience life, thrust into the horrors of WW1, a war said to end all wars !! (If only that had been true !) This book brings home to the reader that a soldier does not have to be killed or injured in a battle, they can also be maimed for life but the tragic and horrific events they witness. The arena in which modern warfare is played differs greatly from the trenches of WW1 but the human cost is of equal measure. A great book, I really enjoyed it, it will stay on my shelf to be read and re-read for years to come.

10/10

I was told to read this book for as English literature. Such an amazing book. I’m a big fan of World War 1 literature and this has to be on top of the list. Highly recommend. I definitely prefer it to Sebastian Faulks "Birdsong".

Edited by Kell
Took out capitalisation on every word.