'The Birth House' by Ami McKay

Inver

I joined a bookring via bookcrossing to read this one and I would thoroughly recommend it. The title says it all really. It is set in a place called 'Scots Bay' in Nova Scotia in the era of WW1. Dora is young girl growing up in fishing village. She makes friends with Miss Babineau, and is referrred to as Miss B, who is the local midwife. She uses kitchen remedies and refers a lot to 'The Willow Book' for these. Eventually Dora becomes her apprentice and attends births with her mentor. She learns all she can from Miss B and eventually takes over from her.

Times change and Dr Thomas, an upstart of a young doctor, comes on the scene. Supposedly with wonderful modern ideas of how woman should be having there babies at the all new hospital down the valley. Unaccessible to lots of mothers to get there in time, they still rely in Dora to help them.

There are divisions of preference to where to have their babies and things get serious when certain accusations are put towards Dora, but you will have to read to find out what happens.

Wonderful characters and setting and an insight into how woman coped with help of there fellow women friends in times of hardship and pregnancy in remote places.

A recommended read. I would give it an 8/10.

• 2 years later...