Kate Mosse - Labyrinth

Read the first 100 pages and it promises to be good.

What is spooky, I found, is that like Alice sometimes you get a 'connection' with something or place and feel that you know it. Even if you've never, ever been there or heard of it. Weird!

This promises to be a cracker of a book

I really liked the way the two different times were handled - both had their own, distinct styles, so I felt "anchored" in whichever time that particular part of the story was set in, rather than flapping about & forgetting where I was up to in the other era.

Guest Anonymous

I finished it, and I have to say what a GREAT book!

The plot was thought out well and the 2 stories were enthralling.

I had to keep reading it as I wanted to know what happened!

Once the story began to unfold I had an idea that the 2 bodies were Alais and ( I thought ) Sajhe.......well I got one right, lol.

I could also see the similarities between Oriane and Marie Cecile too.

I did have an inkling that Audric was Sajhe, again the similarities were there, but done in a well thought out, subtle way.

Fantastic book, with quite a few different characters, Kate Mosse managed to bring them all together exceptionally well, I'll be looking out for her name in the future.

:D

You're right - it was all done very subtley - almost subliminally. Everything was very carefully put together to lead you in the right direction, despite the red herrings (Michelle got rather upset that I didn't warn her about the fire scene, but I couldn't tell her the outcome without ruining the suspense for her - LOL!), so that it all felt very natural ending where & how it did - an almost organic feel to it, if you get my meaning. I don't think it could have ended any other way & felt as satisfying.

Finished the book tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed it! I felt that the 2 eras were dealt with very well and that they moved seamlessly between each other and were intertwined together in a relevant way. The ending was logical and gave a most satisfactory end. Like Tracey, I thought that Orianne and Marie Cecile were similar and for I while I thought that these may have been linked.

This one will definately be reread again!

I also found to my shame :oops: : how lacking my history is regarding medieval France - I certainly learnt a great deal from this book as well as it is obvious that the historical background has been well researched

I would give this a well deserved 9/10

I liked both, but I think the historical side of things seemed slightly more lyrical & I adored that. Saying that, though, I liked the progression towards the end where the timelines were becomnig increasingly blurred...

Esclarmonde was one of my fave characters, she came across to me as a real *wise woman* and I liked that a lot.

Yes, she was very "earthy" & full of common sense - I liked her a lot too. She seemed to be the mother character to Alais & I think that if she'd been absent a lot of the heart of the story would have been lost.

• 1 month later...

I thought this book was alright, but it's not one I would bother rereading. I think I preferred the historical story rather than the modern one, but mostly because I preferred Alais to Alice.

I did feel let down by the ending, and had to read the last bit again to make sure I hadn't missed a big chunk of it.

Everyone I know who has read this book absolutely loves it. It passed a rainy weekend quite nicely, but for me it didn't live up to the hype.

I think hype can really ruin a good book for people, as we come to expect something very specific & then feel let down if it's not how we imagined. I've been let down like that in the past, so I can sympathise. Im' sorry you didn't enjoy Labyrinth more. I'm now waiting to see how Mosse's NEXT novel will turn out...

• 1 month later...

I was thoroughly disappointed by this. The plot was so predicatable that even a non bright person like me guessed what was coming. The so called revelations fell flat because we knew they were coming right from the beginning.

The historical glimpse into Carcassonne was nice, and Mosse isn't a bad writer. But she is a little bit dull.

I liked the historical aspect of it most, I'll admit. Like you, I saw a lot of the outcome coming, but I felt there was no other way it could really have ended that "felt right". It was long in places, but this was one occasion where I didn't actually mind, which is unusual for me, as I often find myself glossing over long descriptive passages in other books.

Kell

I liked the historical aspect of it most, I'll admit.

Yes, that was the only thing that kept me reading. I hadn't come across any other book that was set in Carcassonne, so it had some value. The plot just drove me mad though.

This one does seem to be a "love or hate" novel as I've seen very mixed reviews of it, but they all seem to be extreme one way or the other. It's certainly one that encourages discussion though!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have this book! I was hoping to find a discussion about a book I've recently read, but this is good... I'll get back to this discussion once I've read it, as I've been meaning to for ages now.