Lord Of The Flies By William Golding

Lukeozade100

As ever the blurb to start (lifted from Amazon, so it might be the amazon review);

Golding's best-known novel is the story of a group of boys who, after a plane crash, set up a fragile community on a previously uninhabited island. As memories of home recede and the blood from frenzied pig-hunts arouses them, the boys' childish fear turns into something deeper and more primitive.

This is a book that many read at school, and so many probably don't really have fond memories of (I do believe that you will almost never enjoy any book you are forced to read and talk about at Secondary school, college/uni apparently it is different, but secondary school... nah.) I also think that there are books that would be much better suited to secondary school than this, its almost like they decided to use it in schools because it is so well known and is about kids of that age. I think maybe Animal Farm, Trainspotting (For Year 10/11 only), and several other books would be much better.

But thats not because this isn't a good book, it is. Though it is slow to start, the first half of the book isn't really that good at all, theres little of interest and if that was the book it would recieve a meager 6/10 from me, but as the lads on the island begin to descend into madness the novel erupts into brilliance, especially towards the final chapters. Here it reaches the heady hights of 9/10.

Goldings use of language isn't anything spectacular, but his portrayal of how a society can collapse really is great to read.

Overall, worth reading for the ending, 8/10.

I was one of those strange students who DID enjoy the books we had to read at High School, but then being told to read a book as part of your homework was a big treat :D

However, although this one had a huge impact on me, I still remember parts of it quite vividly (and it was ....uhh-hum quite a few years ago now), I can't say I enjoyed it. In fact, I found it quite disturbing. But it was certainly thought provoking, and I guess that's what the teachers were aiming at.

I read this a couple of years ago. I wasn't overly impressed with the book, but I agree that it was disturbing and most of it is still pretty clear in my mind, which is more than I can say for a lot of books that I enjoyed reading more!

LOTF was required reading for me in high school and I remember being engrossed in the book. It was one of the first books we "analyzed" and picked apart - and that process was interesting.

I picked it up recently and tho I enjoyed much of it, was not as enamored the second time around and didn't end up finishing it. I DID hand it to my high school aged daughter who devoured it.

Interesting, huh?

• 3 months later...

I finished reading this book a few days ago, and while I found it very disturbing, I also really liked it. I guess I am one of the rare ones not to have been assigned this book in high school, so perhaps my appreciation of this book is untainted by my high school curriculum. :)

I have to admit, though, that parts of this book I could only read in short doses. I get nervous and anxious fairly easily, and so the second half of this book was sometimes hard for me to read.