Contemporary American Authors

blueberry_pie

Jennifer Chiaverini. She writes the Elm Creek Quilts series of books, starting with The Quilter's Apprentice. I was introduced to them by a friend who picked up a copy from someone. I was then sent copies of others by a very kind bookcrosser in the USA. They are lovely and if you go onto her webiste there is lots of patchwork stuff on it, photos etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Anne Tyler is one of the best contemporary fiction writers, I also love reading Christopher Moore who writes contemporary/fantasy fiction. I also read a book called 'little children' by Tom Perrotta which I loved so I also read the only other book by him in my local library 'The Wishbones' which I loved as well. I must go to Amazon and see if Tom Perrotta has written any more books.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm interested. Which one oh her books will you recommend me to start with, The one that you love most?

You could start with Digging to America. It is the only one I've read by her but it's definitely one of my very favourite books.

It starts when two families, the Donaldsons (as american as you can get) and the Yazdans (of iranian origin), meet in an airport where they have come to meet their adopted korean daughters. They decide to meet again and the book then follows them through the years, as the girls grow up and the two families grow closer.

I found it to be both fascinating in the way it explores the themes of family and most of all cultural identity (What culture would you say defines a korean born little girl who is being raised in america by a family still very much attached to its Iranian origins?), and extremely funny in some parts.

• 1 year later...