Reading? What a waste of time...

Colin Jacobs

Is a comment I get from some people. If I did not read I would smoke much more than 20 a day, throw things at the telly and become very bored. I think that I still do as much in a day and still find time to read a heck of a lot.

It's all about time management. Well sort of. on my days off I do not wear a watch and switch off my radio clock alarm. Oh! I set my mobile alarm for the Archers.

My only real bad habit is reading the Times before doing anything else on my days off.

CJ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had that thrown at me so many times! For me it keeps me a civil human being - ask any of the family. They always know when I getting withdrawal symptoms. It helps me relax, escape, learn, broaden my horizons and a host of other things. To my mind nothing is a waste of time all the time it is of value to an individual.

I just started reading (Harry Potter) and i'm ripping it, even on busy weeks, i cut sleep, and whatever else i can to read. I am going to be having withdrawal soon when it ends =(

But yeh, reading is really really good, esp when you find a book that is entertaining to you, and even better when it is in a series, those who don't read are missing out =x

I am considered well read by some folks and it seems I am always being texed during pub quizes when a literary question is asked. The only thing I am not good at is Sport questions. as I reiterate reading helps me escape from real life,

One former partner said I was in my own litlle world. I replied "Yes, and I love it!"

I don't think reading is a waste of time at all, but one of the women I work with is always telling me that it is. It annoys me, because I always think that if she doesn't want to read, well that's fine, but don't have a go at me, because I love to read.

She tells me that she doesn't have the time to read (and has never read a book in her life)! and says that she doesn't know how I find the time to read so much. But whereas she watches loads of soap operas (which I am not knocking at all), I never watch any, and I really don't watch much tv.

Bottom line for me is - I find reading relaxing and stimulating, and I have learnt a lot from some of my books. And anything that gives me all that can never be a waste of time.

Hi,

I have also had similar comments made. I do think some people just struggle to read & can think of a prime example. My brother has never understood me reading & has told me I am "boring" etc etc for reading so much. However... I also recall that he was a very slow reader as a child & struggled with English despite being talented in pretty much every other area. Perhaps people with specific reading difficulties just won't get the same enjoyment because reading is hard work for them. They shouldn't criticize those who do enjoy it but I just consider myself lucky I can!!!

Heather :blush:

One former partner said I was in my own litlle world. I replied "Yes, and I love it!"

Ha! This is PRECISELY why I read. :readingtwo: And I hate it when reality gets in the way :D. Seriously, I am *amazingly* easy going but can become really irritable and depressed if life denies or interrupts my reading. :blush:

I have often questioned myself "Why *do* you read so much?

What are you actually gaining from it all? Isn't it a waste of time?"

I know people devoted to the gym, hairdresser, nail bar. . even one devoted to housework. I would never judge or criticise them for this.

To my mind, no pursuit is a waste of time if it makes the individual happy and content.

"Some people say life is the thing. Me, I prefer reading."

If someone said that reading is a huge waste of time to me, I would ask them if they were a WoW player and/or how much time they spent watching telly.

My own dad, unfortunatley, is one of these people who thinks that reading is a waste of time. He would probably watch about two-three (or more) hours of telly a day after coming home from work. I fail to see the difference.

I always get people saying that reading is a waste of time. I used to think the same because I wasn't a fast reader and it used to bore me by the time I was on the second chapter. But now I prefer reading to watching TV. I like being able to picture what characters look like rather than being told.

Being able to read is like escaping into your own world or the world of the characters in the story. It is also educational, mind expanding. I would be totally lost without a book to read.

Colin, I also read The Times and do the puzzles therein. Its a "good read" paper. I dont always agree with what some of the columnists say and get quite rattled at times. Keep meaning to write and express my opinion, but I never do. Too busy reading and posting on here:lol:

"You think I read for pleasure?" is the most common phrase heard at school in English lessons, particularly amongst the idiots of boys that we have. I just don't see the point in mocking 'bookworms'- I don't disrespect those who choose not to read! :blush:

If someone said that to me, my response would be short, and it would be the last words I exchanged with the person saying it. I dont wish to be associated with someone so ignorant of the world.

Every time I pass the maintenace shed one of the men always shouts out rude names to me. I am considered boring and Odd "Cos you are always reading something"

Just because I dont read the tabloids and drink beer and am not dereogative to anyone and enjoy reading i am victimised for it.

at School I spent my dinner hour browsing the library and settling down to read the reference books. soon the windows would be covered by peering children trying to break my concentration. I do not want to be one of the boys I prefer my own company and my books.

Every time I pass the maintenace shed one of the men always shouts out rude names to me. I am considered boring and Odd "Cos you are always reading something"

Just because I dont read the tabloids and drink beer and am not dereogative to anyone and enjoy reading i am victimised for it.

at School I spent my dinner hour browsing the library and settling down to read the reference books. soon the windows would be covered by peering children trying to break my concentration. I do not want to be one of the boys I prefer my own company and my books.

I get weird looks all the time when I buy a broadsheet paper, like i cant like the quality press cos im under 30.

Every time I pass the maintenace shed one of the men always shouts out rude names to me.

Ah, let him shout! You are a bigger man than he. And if he shouts only rude names I can imagine what his literary choices are. :D

I am considered boring and Odd "Cos you are always reading something"

Bwah- ha! Join the club!!! even my sister says to me "You are always reading those silly weird books." (She's only 60!)

I think in my head, to all who say things like this "Why should I be considered weird and different because of what I like????"

People also think I'm strange because I won't do girly-girly things with them, because I eat seemingly different food to everyone else and so on.

I was so excited the other day as it was nearing my day off and I could get in to town to collect two books I had ordered. When I announced this at work they just looked at me blank. :blush:

I agree with Dr Seuss' quote:

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind".

I prefer my own company and my books.

Me too! ME TOO. I've been in reading all day since 11-30 am and only had to speak with two people on the phone. Bliss! :readingtwo:

I get weird looks all the time when I buy a broadsheet paper,

Hey! I get these too, both the broadsheets and the weird looks. :D

Hmm, do you reckon everyone else is right? That we really are weird

and have paranoid delusions?

Maybe we should form a Weirdo Forum? :blush:

What else do people get classed as being weird for liking/doing?

A few of mine are:

Not having a TV.

Eating weird stuff like licorice, blueberries, nuts.

Liking Classic FM and Radio 4.

Loving my own company.

Not talking a lot.

Having few opinions.

Other than having a TV you are right on the button. I don't mix, or speak to anyone if I can help it. I was always told. "if you dont drink smoke like football and read the Sun you are considered a wieirdo!"

My Mum is the worst she cannot understand why I have to read "Highbrow" papers and listen to "Highbrow" radio stations.