Featured Author - Sam Hayes

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Michelle and hi to everyone else on the forum too!

Firstly, I do hope I'm replying correctly to this thread. Apologies if it ends up all wrong or in a different place... I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Thank you SO much for having me on the forum. It's going to be a great month chatting to everyone. I'll try to stop by as often as I can to reply. The next three months are going to be computer-bound for me anyway as I forge ahead with my new book. Coming to the forum will be a great way of taking a brain break every now and again :-)

Just a brief note about me for those that haven't read my books or been to my website (www.samhayes.co.uk and www.samhayes.blogspot.com). I've been writing since time began (or so it seems) and started to get work published in the smaller, independent presses around 2003.

My first mainstream work, BLOOD TIES (published by Headline in paperback September 2007), is a harrowing novel about an abducted baby, a desperate runaway teenager and a family blown apart by secrets that threaten to destroy everything.

UNSPOKEN is my next book and was released in hardback in July this year. The paperback edition is out in February 2009. Again, it's an emotional thriller - a terryfying drama involving three generations of a family. A mother who refuses to speak, the brutalised body of a local teenage girl, divorce, alcoholism, and a dangerous relationship, throw Julia Marshall's life into chaos as secrets from her mother's past surface.

I'm halfway through writing my next novel for Headline, but it doesn't have a title yet. Again, it's an emotional thriller and I'm loving writing it. I've been married for nearly twenty years (eek!), have three kids (one of them not so much a kid anymore), and live in Warwickshire. Hope to get to know you all over the next month...so do fire away with the questions!

Very best,

Sam xx

I'm going to ask that question I'm sure all authors hate.. which of your books is your favourite?

Hi Michelle,

Yes, hard but good question. I guess the most obvious answer is that I love the book that I'm currently working on - whatever that may be - for the simple reason that I would hope it's my best work ever. I strive to improve and evolve as an author, developing with each book. I have a huge soft spot for Blood Ties, not just because it's my first successful mainstream novel, but also because of the feedback I've received from readers. I've had loads of very positive emails from all over the world saying how much it's been enjoyed - even if it is rather harrowing. I've had a few emails along the lines of 'Blood Ties is the first book I've read since I've been at school. You've got me hooked on reading...etc etc'. It's amazing to think, especially during the National Year of Reading, that something I've written has had that result.

This really is an unanswerable question! I love Blood Ties for different reasons to Unspoken, and likewise, my current novel will be a favourite for another reason. Does this help or is it a total cop out answer?!

Sam xx

Hi Sam. Welcome to BCF.

I read Blood Ties earlier this year as part of a book ring on here and I loved it. It is quite a harrowing story though so my question is where do you get your main ideas from?

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your question. I know that some authors say that characters 'appear' to them and subsequently suggest or lead them into a plot. It's mostly the other way around with me. I usually have an idea for a story first - or at least a strong theme - and the characters evolve around that. But, as you ask, where do the ideas come from?

With Blood Ties, I was driving home with my family from a holiday in Cornwall. We were stuck in traffic and I'd been mulling over various ideas for novels for a while. Something on the radio struck a chord. It set me thinking about the theme of possession within a novel, and does anyone have the right to own or possess another person. This got me thinking about loss and losing those you thought you 'owned', which reminded me of several issues that had happened to friends regarding losing children - both horrific in their own way. Blood Ties isn't directly about these events, rather inspired by them. It was all a bit of a soup of ideas for a while, but as things clarified in my mind, characters started to evolve. That's the point at which I just have to start writing! When the story gets a voice, I need to get it down. So the idea for Blood Ties (which I actually called 'Nine Tenths' originally to cover the possession theme) was a very organic process inspired by many things.

I do get lots of ideas from the news (and occasionally find similar stories apprearing in the news once I've written them!) I guess current affairs are a good source of inspiration for me because, while the issues I write about aren't everyday occurences, they could happen to anyone. I like to stir up the 'What if this happened to me...' in readers.

I'm also a great eavesdropper and file away snippets of conversation I may overhear, or indeed have with others. When I'm thinking of ideas, I spend lots of time on the internet trawling around for inspiration. The origins of UNSPOKEN are also rather organic. The phrase (in relation to a married couple) 'He's old enough to be your father' set me thinking. Set in motion the 'What ifs...'

Hope this answers your question!

Sam xx

Hi Sam

Welcome to BCF. I've yet to read Blood Ties but it sounds great. I think it will probably end up on my Christmas list.

Was this the first book you wrote? Or did you write lots before getting this one published?

Thanks

Andrea

ETA: sorry I just went to your website and saw you wrote and published a novel before Blood Ties. What I mean is did you have a kind of 'back catalogue' of unpublished works before you started actually getting stuff published? I hope that made sense :blush:

Edited by ~Andrea~

I have recently read Blood Ties and thoroughly enjoyed it. Proper page turner. Welcome to BCF.

What books/authors do you like to read, if/when you get the time?

Hi Sam

Welcome to BCF. I've yet to read Blood Ties but it sounds great. I think it will probably end up on my Christmas list.

Was this the first book you wrote? Or did you write lots before getting this one published?

Thanks

Andrea

ETA: sorry I just went to your website and saw you wrote and published a novel before Blood Ties. What I mean is did you have a kind of 'back catalogue' of unpublished works before you started actually getting stuff published? I hope that made sense :blush:

Hi Andrea,

Yes, I wrote loads before Blood Ties was published - although in the early days much of it was of dubious quality! I've been writing since I was very young, although mainly for my own pleasure. As an adult, I knew it was what I wanted to be 'when I grew up' and so I began to take it more seriously. But it's a tough business to crack and it wasn't until 2002/03 that I had a few short stories published in the small independent press. I actually won a short story competition, which kick-started things no end.

I loved writing fantasy and horror and there's a very active and well-supported group of independent publishers in this genre. I went to conventions and writing events, met other writers and indie press publishers...wrote more, submitted more, and got a few things out there. I'd started no end of novels over the years but never felt comfortable with where they were going. I didn't feel as if I was writing what I really wanted to be writing. I liked the fantasy and horror but ultimately it wasn't really 'me'. I'd written two novels that will never see the light of day (thankfully!) and then I wrote another, very much experimental, which was taken on by an independent publisher. It sold a few but of course, its very hard for these guys to compete with the giants in publishing, so getting their books into shops is hard. It's out of print now. But it was all excellent experience and definitely helped me mature as a writer.

Then I wrote two more novels for a mainstream publisher under a different name (adult content - so very different to what I do now!) and again, this was a wonderful experience regards producing a professional, tight, well-plotted novel.

So while Blood Ties is my first mainstream novel under my own name, the book I am currently working on is actually my sixth published novel!

Sam xx

I have recently read Blood Ties and thoroughly enjoyed it. Proper page turner. Welcome to BCF.

What books/authors do you like to read, if/when you get the time?

Hi there Inver,

Spare time? What's that?! At the moment, I'm...er...reading the paperback proofs for Unspoken - my novel out in Feb! But when I do get the time to read, I love Ian McEwan, Douglas Coupland (I see he has a new one out which I must get), Anita Shreve (really love her), Joanne Harris (although have some catching up to do with hers) I like Sophie Hannah's books and took The Point of Rescue on holiday last month. While away, I also read Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes and Diving into Light by Natasha Farrant. I love Nicci French and Harlan Coben...a bit of a mix really. The book that made me seriously want to write was 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' by Richard Bach. I read it when I was twelve. (The Bridge Across Forever is amazing too). He inspired me greatly and I often read 'Jonathan' for a boost!

These days I tend to read fairly current books and always scan the supermarket shelves while I'm there. I've got stacks of books that I've bought and not got round to reading yet. I love stories that I can relate to, lots of emotion and perhaps the odd dead body thrown in too! (Similar to those I write, I guess.) I'm a painfully slow reader. I wish I was faster, and I can't start reading another book straight after finishing one. I have to digest. For me, books are about escapism, relaxation, a treat. I won't forge ahead with anything that I don't like.

When I'm writing though, I get very little time to read. Some authors say that what they read influences what they write. I don't find this particularly, but I do always think that if I'm reading someone else's words, I could be writing my own!

Sam xx

Hello Sam just popped in to say I loved Blood Ties and am looking forward to reading Unspoken, keep up the good work :blush:

Hi Madcow (I'm sure you're not!) Thank you! It's great to be here. So glad to hear you enjoyed Blood Ties. Do let me know what you think of Unspoken when you've read it. I can't tell you how much it means to have feedback from readers...yay, contact from the outside world! It's a lonely job being a writer :D

Sam xx

Hello again.....just wondered if you get any say in choosing covers for your books.

Hi,

Yes I do get a say to a certain extent. Once the book's written, my editor has a number of people to brief about the project. She'll liaise with the design department about various cover ideas and any ideas she already has. I think the sales and marketing teams also have input into this, as they're the ones out there selling and promoting the books. Give them a duff cover and their job's a whole lot harder. The designer will come up with a number of cover ideas, present them to various people, including the editor. They go back and forth until a cover is agreed upon. That's when I get to see and approve it. If I have any particular dislikes, I can voice them at this stage.

When I first saw the cover for Blood Ties, I loved it. Even though it's a thriller, the cover conveys the emotional side perfectly. The same can be said for Unspoken, which continues in the same light. A suggestive, slightly sinister appearance but with a strong emotive theme. I didn't want to make any changes to either when I saw them, but had I had any objections then I'm sure they'd have been listened to.

Publishers are rightly concerned about 'branding' an author. I know some authors don't like this much and don't want to be treated as products, but it's important that readers can instantly recognise their favourite authors in an instant. However, publishers also have to keep up with cover trends and not appear 'last year', but also maintain originality. The paperback edition of Unspoken (out early next year) is going to have a new cover - and it's totally different to the previous two covers. It has much more of a thriller look to it, but is unique in its own right. Again, I love it, and also had to approve it once it was designed. I did have a chat with my editor a while ago about where the covers would be going, but apart from that I leave it to the professionals! Hope this helps.

Sam xx

Hi Supergran,

That's a good question. The answer is no, no one else in my family writes. Not that I'm aware of anyway - maybe for pleasure and they're keeping it quiet! Although I do come from a rather creative family on my mum's side. Both my grandparents are/were pianists and composers. Their son, my uncle, plays violin and used to play in the CBSO. And my mum is a brilliant artist. I grew up in a very creative environment and was always encouraged to read and write lots. I have three children and they all lean strongly towards the creative arts - music/performing/writing (my youngest likes writing at school). I'm sure it runs in families, although have no idea if it's nature or nurture. Probably a combination of both. I'm not very practical-minded and actually have to ask my kids to turn on a TV in our house for me. There are always so many remotes...so many buttons...technical things just don't come naturally to me. Anyway, I've gone off topic a bit!

Do you write at all? Do you have experience of creativity running through your family?

Thanks for your question,

Sam xx

Hi Susanne,

I think you've suggested three very good reasons to read a book and I'm certainly influenced by all of them. Reading time is so precious that I'm careful what I choose. I seem to spend a lot of time browsing around Amazon. Partly from a 'business' point of view, as I like to see what's out there, and certainly what's doing well in a similar genre to my own books, but also because I just want a new read. But when something catches my eye - either from a familiar author name, or a cover, or because I've seen that title somewhere else (review/advert/recommendation etc) I'll delve deeper. Often I'll google to see if the author has a website, read a bit more about them, check out their other titles. I like to feel as if I 'know' the author when I read a book. Makes it all the more personal, I think.

I do read reviews, which can sometimes be misleading. But if I read a bad or lukewarm review, it wouldn't necessarily put me off reading the novel, especially if it was by a favourite writer. It's always a bit of a nail-biting experience waiting for my own reviews to come out. But thankfully I've collected some great quotes to go on future covers. Do these mean much to readers, I wonder? I think quotes from other authors on covers are quite a good endorsement and make me pick up a book off the shelves.

I'm also guilty of the 'supermarket sweep'. Who can resist two for

Hi Andrea,

Yes, it seems that way, although sometimes it felt as if I'd never make the 'breakthrough'. All good experience though. I once tried to work out how many words I'd written before publication. I stopped when I got to a million! :) Are there any writers here in the forum - either for pleasure or publication?

Sam xx

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum. I am currently riveted by Blood Ties.

DO you ever worry about what people will think of your books once they are published, and what would you say to someone who is not confident in their talent, despite lot's of people saying it is very good? (This person is not me by the way)