Doctor Mooze by Erik Ryman

Weave

Title of book: Doctor Mooze

Name of author: Erik Ryman

Paperback: 144 pages

Publisher: bluechrome Publishing; 2Rev Ed edition (24 April 2007)

ISBN-10: 1906061041

ISBN-13: 978-1906061043

Synopsis:

Panton di Villa was a ten-year-old boy who wanted to write a "Blog" and to get his revenge on a boy who had "taken his girl".

The final 19 days of Panton di Villa's life are shown to be as extraordinary as the way in which he tried to get her back.

Why not see the world through the eyes of your average cynical child, in this Sallinger meets Coupland classic that is most definitely not written for kids? "Doctor Mooze" was originally released under the pseudonym Panton di Villa - the young boy who features in the story. As such the style of the writing and illustration is that which a boy of that age might like. A few reviewers weren't sure about the authenticity, but despite themselves couldn't rule it out. This second edition allows Ryman to come out of the literary closet.

41RAERKBM3L_SS500_.jpg

I sat in front of my computer for a long time thinking about what I was going to say about 'Doctor Mooze' by Erik Ryman and it was tough, I will not lie to you, it was really tough.

'Doctor Mooze' tells the very interesting story of Panton di Villa, a ten year old boy who decides he is going to write a blog and what a blog he writes, you share the insights of a 10 year old boy and the downward spiral of a father, son and their dog.

'Doctor Mooze' is written in such a way that you will be unable to put the book down, you will want to know what Panton does next.

The reason why it was so tough? well I wanted to give 'Doctor Mooze' the justice it deserves. Erik Ryman delivers the thoughts and feelings of 10 year old Panton so well, you will find yourself worrying about Panton, about what is going to happen to him, where he is going to end up?

'Dr Mooze' is a brilliantly written book which manages to deliver in a humorous and serious way the inner workings of a 10 year old's mind, who is at risk of developing a personality disorder.

An excellent book which should be read with an open mind.

Rating: 10/10

Edited by Weave

• 6 months later...

My thoughts:

‘Doctor Mooze’ is a 10 year old boy called Panton, who decides to start his own blog. His aim is to get it onto the internet, so he can make money from the advertising, but it remains in diary form.

The early entries are as expected, with rambling mentions of TV, Christmas, family, friends and girls. It soon, however, starts to take a dark turn, as Panton vows to get revenge on a boy who has taken ‘his girl’. His big brother Toto, with whom Panton has the usual love/hate relationship, soon starts to get involved, with some terrible consequences.

In a way Panton is a typical 10 year old, looking for someone to look up. Unfortunately, the people that he finds bring out a very scary side of him.. although I also couldn’t help but feel sorry for him.

Towards the end of the book, there is a chilling change, as events really spiral out of control. This is a story which kept me reading, needing to know where it would go next - and since finishing it, it has stayed with me. Read it!