Janet's Reading Through The Decades Challenge **Completed**

Janet

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Love on the Dole by Walter Greenwood, which was published in 1933, as part of this challenge.

Although this is fiction, it very much reminds me of The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell (the subject matter of both is poverty in the North) which I read last year. I'm about half way through now. ;)

I'm reading Love on the Dole by Walter Greenwood, which was published in 1933, as part of this challenge.

Although this is fiction, it very much reminds me of The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell (the subject matter of both is poverty in the North) which I read last year. I'm about half way through now. ;)

I've read both of them - prefer Love on the Dole, I found The Road to Wigan Pier too slow going and I though Orwell was concentrating too much on his own self discovery. I did enjoy Love on the Dole though!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It was *fantastic* - I can't praise it highly enough! 11/10 10/10!

Let me get this straight, you enjoyed it, then? :friends0:I've never heard of it & I am going to be very lazy & ask you instead of investigating it myself, what's it about & what genre is it?

:D I did enjoy it!

I don't really want to give away too much about it here, but Wikipedia have a very good summary of it here - which obviously contains spoilers. :D

It's Sci-fi - which is a genre I've previously avoided like the plague! I read this at school but didn't remember it at all as I re-read!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks. I'll be sure to post my thoughts. ;) (There is a thread about it on here but I've been avoiding it until I've read it). My Mum passed it on to me - she enjoyed it and we have similar tastes so I'm hopeful!

• 2 months later...

Just an update for me of what needs doing. I keep picking up books from my bookshelf from a certain decade... and then discovering I've done that decade already! :blush:

1990s - Children's book

1980s - Children's book

...........Non-fiction

1970s - Fiction

...........Non-fiction

1960s - Fiction

...........Children's book

...........Non-fiction

1950s - Children's book

...........Non-fiction

1940s - Non-fiction

1930s - Children's book

1920s - Non-fiction

1910s - Fiction

...........Non-fiction

1900s - Children's book

...........Non-fiction

12 books read 18 to go

Wow, I hadn't realised you were doing three books from each decade. That's a really interesting idea!

I would probably find it relatively easy for fiction and children's, but the non-fiction side of things would be more of a challenge. I don't generally read a lot of non-fiction, and the books I do have always seem to be at least 600 pages long. :blush:

Best of luck! Do you think you'll reach your goal by the end of the year?

I think non-fiction will be the most difficult part for me too - not because I don't read a lot of it, but just that finding older titles might be hard.

I had originally intended just to do fiction, but then I read The Land of Far-Beyond and Down and Out in Paris and London just because I had them on my 'to read' pile so I thought "why not?"!

I don't anticipate finishing by the end of this year, no. I haven't got on as quickly as I thought I might but I shall keep plodding on. :D

Thanks, Kylie. :blush:

• 1 month later...

Finished Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce this morning. I shall write some proper thoughts down but for now I'll just say that although my childhood memories might be rose-tinting this, I loved it! :D 10/10

Remaining:

1990s - Children's book

1980s - Children's book

...........Non-fiction

1970s - Fiction

...........Non-fiction

1960s - Fiction

...........Non-fiction

1950s - Non-fiction

1940s - Non-fiction

1930s - Children's book

1920s - Non-fiction

1910s - Fiction

...........Non-fiction

1900s - Children's book

...........Non-fiction

13 books read 17 to go

• 2 months later...

Wow, again a reading challenge hee hee, you know you make me feel so unstructurized (is that a word?) by just reading whatever I want next, no structure, no ideas. :smile2:

Just checked this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_literature

And I realized, I would honestly have an easier time reading a book from every decade of the 19th century, than of the 20th.. actually I have read some mentioned there, guess I like 19th century books better.:)

Yes, that Wiki link is invaluable and I browse it quite often, although I'm still struggling to decide what to read for some of my missing 'fiction' decades.

I'm enjoying this challenge more than the other one, because I'm very likely to get to the end of it - even if it takes me another two years! I'm going to try to make a big effort with it this year! :)