Kate Mosse - Labyrinth

Michelle

I was interested see that this has been made into a film.  Details are here:

http://www.katemosse.co.uk/index.php/labyrinth-comes-to-tv/

and is supposed to be aired in the Spring over here on Channel 4 (whenever Spring might be! :P )

I like that the fact that Sybil from Downton is playing Alais.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and is supposed to be aired in the Spring over here on Channel 4 (whenever Spring might be! :P )

O ye Gods! :o  It might be mean-spirited of me, but having ordered the DVD, I hope it's not this Spring, Sue!   

O ye Gods! :o  It might be mean-spirited of me, but having ordered the DVD, I hope it's not this Spring, Sue!   

Oh dear, does that mean it has gone straight to DVD and no airtime planned?

Let's know what you think of it though, Booknutt.

I came to this thread to ask what people thought of it, by comparison to the book. I really enjoyed the book, though it's been too long to remember many details. As for the film, "underwhelmed" doesn't even begin to describe it. If memory serves, they took major liberties with the book's story line.

I saw an advert for this on TV at the weekend, it's on in the next couple of weeks I think. I will be watching this as I didn't get on well with the book and abandoned it today.

I saw it yesterday. I think it said it was on this Sunday at 9. Or something like that. Quite close. It's a 2 part series or something like that.

EDIT: I was close. Saw another advert today. It's on on Saturday at 9.

Edited by risingdawn

Yes folks - you read it here ...  "Labyrith" is on T.V. this weekend, C4 to be exact, on Saturday and Sunday nights.

Each half is stretched over 2hrs.05 mins  t.v. time,  

I'm braced for the fact that it won't be "the same" as the book - t.v. adaptaions never are - but it'll still be good to have an Easter change from the usual Bond re-runs!  

Enjoy your Easter eggs while you watch   :D

I once finished reading the book simply because I had no clue what Cathars were, having read more about them and discovering that one of the actual crusades in medievalk times was actually aimed at them does make me more interested so I will probably add the book to my summer holiday reading list.

And I probably will have look if the tv show is any good too.

Edited by saintmark

There's an adaptation of this on the telly tonight and tomorrow night (Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st March) on Channel 4 at 9pm - just in case anyone is interested! :)

Did anyone watch the series?  I watched the 1st episode on Saturday and recorded the 2nd one last night so yet it see that part.  It was OK ish.  I love Carcassonne and it was lovely to see the Citadel as well as the town of today - brought back good memories.  As usual with these things, the dialogue gets muffled - especially the girl Alice in the present and those French guys - well who knows what they were on about!!  I liked John Lynch as De Montfort though - thoroughly nasty chap he was .  And I hope to see more of John Hurt in Ep. 2.

Edited by SueK

Got mixed feelings about the t.v. version of Labyrinth.

Having recently finished the book itself, I braced myself for huge chunks of the story being missing or messed with, and wasn't disappointed in that. It could've been at least 1 - 2 hours longer So why on earth wasn't it? The same company did so for the Pillars of the Earth and World without End novels and made quite a decent job of them.    

If you divorce it from the book and watch it as a "timeslip" film only, it's pretty acceptable.  It's also rare for me to feel sorry for the "baddies" but the fate of vain Marie-Cecile did make me pity her.   At least Sajhe had his love for Alais to help him through a few hundred years of waiting - and men don't fret about wrinkles like we gals do!

I recorded it, so I'll watch it again - maybe I'll warm to it more. Not a patch on the book, though.   

just found a nice,short piece about who the cathars were and what they believed in..http://www.cathar.info/

You might be interested in "Daughters of the Grail" by Elizabeth Chadwick too, Ummlilia.

It's fiction, but gives an as-living account of Cathar life and beliefs at that time.

You might be interested in "Daughters of the Grail" by Elizabeth Chadwick too, Ummlilia.

It's fiction, but gives an as-living account of Cathar life and beliefs at that time.

Thanks...have you read any of Kathleen McGowan's work.?.I read 'The Expected One' part  1 of the Magdalene Line trilogy ages ago and enjoyed it. (She's the lady who claims to be a direct descendent of mary magdalene)

Thanks...have you read any of Kathleen McGowan's work.?.I read 'The Expected One' part  1 of the Magdalene Line trilogy ages ago and enjoyed it. (She's the lady who claims to be a direct descendent of mary magdalene)

There's other two novels in the series currently Ummlilia, The Book of Love and The Poet Prince. Also, a promise from Kathleen for more to come! It's a great series. Makes you think about things ....    

I've recorded both episodes but haven't watched either yet. Might be a while before I get around to it though - they're quite long!

I've recorded both parts too and am looking forward to watching it as soon as I have a chance. It's been several years since I read the book, so it will probably feel like I'm coming to it fresh. :)

I find all this Cathar stuff interesting.

I love the history of the Cathars and I went on one of those field tours a few years back - it was one of the best trips I have ever done.

The book that started it all for me was The Holy Blood and Holy Grail (which Dan Brown based his Da Vinci Code on) by Henry Lincoln and co - it gives an excellent history of the Cathars and Templars (who were Cathar sympathisers).  There is also a very good book (and the title completely eludes me right now) by Rene Weis (Rachel's Dad) which gives an extremely good insight into Cathar history.  I'm sure if someone googles Cathar and Rene Weis they find the book I mean.

Updated:  found it: The Yellow Cross: The Story of the Last Cathars 1290-1329

Edited by SueK

There are loads of books out there on the Cathars - I wrote one myself (covering lots of other subjects as well), which is just about still in print (and also available Kindle). I visited both Carcassonne and Montsegur, among other places as part of the research and found both fascinating - especially their nearby caves. I would love to return some day. As for Labyrinth though - I tried to read it a few years ago, but found it just wasn't my cup of tea - maybe I have read too many non fiction books on the subject.  

There are loads of books out there on the Cathars - I wrote one myself (covering lots of other subjects as well), which is just about still in print (and also available Kindle). I visited both Carcassonne and Montsegur, among other places as part of the research and found both fascinating - especially their nearby caves. I would love to return some day. As for Labyrinth though - I tried to read it a few years ago, but found it just wasn't my cup of tea - maybe I have read too many non fiction books on the subject.  

Aaaah June, I remember the Cathar conversations we use to have on "that other forum"  with a few other members.  Like you, I never really got into Labyrinth, I don't really feel Kate Mosse got to grips with the Cathar story.

I made it to the top of Montsegur and Queribus (deprived of oxygen at the latter - it was so high!!).

Edited by SueK

Ha, ha, I had forgotten all about that - in another lifetime.  

Queribus was one place I didn't get to - but Montsegur was good - even though it was pouring with rain !  

Edited by Talisman