Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke

Riley

I wanted to find out some books that may be similar, so took to Amazon to see what other readers of the book may have purchased. I realized that "Inkheart," "Inkspell," etc are books also written by Funke. I found this thread and saw that for the most part (except for a couple of readers), the reviews for the Ink books aren't overwhelming.

Anyone else read "The Thief Lord," and know of any books by any other authors that may be similar, but were received a bit better than Funke's Ink books?

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke is good. But it's a bit more childish. I read it when I was eight... :)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't seen the movie on account of me wanting to read the book first. However, on this occasion the writing just didn't capture me. I couldn't get into it. It didn't find it accessible in the same way J.K.Rowling's writing is; written for young 'uns but adults can take something from it too.

Maybe I'll just give in and watch the movie.

x

YES! And the only reason he did it is because no-one likes happy endings or something like that. That something tragic always has to happen at the end of the book. (well it wasn't like that in Inkdeath, was it?! *stabs the author* OR in the movie *stabs the director* )

Ah! I'm exactly the opposite! I found his arguements with Rsenquartz amusing :lol:.

• 4 weeks later...

don't waste your time on watching the movie. after reading the entire series the movie came out and I thought it would be a good movie.

WRONG! the movie was little to nothing alike to the book. it was very disappointing. I was expecting a lot more out of the movie after reading those books and it was a total letdown

I actually thought the movie was okay (minus the ending, of course, that was just BAAAAAAAAAAAAD)

I thought they got the setting right, Capricorn's village was awesome, but the actual castle wasn't really. And I thought Paul Bettany was AWESOME for dustfinger, only with different hair.

I didn't really like Farrid that much. He was out of character, he wasn't meant to be "funny". Don't get me started with the ending, btw. It. is. so. BAD.

Seriously.

I do agree with you, misswhitlock, that they played Dustfinger very well and Farid was just terrible. I didn't like Capricorn's village that much though. Another thing that I didn't like that much was how they skipped so much. First off they got the beginning all wrong. Second off (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I saw the movie) they skipped out on Twinkerbell. Third off would definitely be how,

Meggie wanted to be a writer and could write what she wanted to say.

(I don't know if that is really much of a spoiler, but I decided to be careful about it anyway:blush:) That kinda ruins the next two books.:friends0:

Ahh yes. They did skip the Tinkerbell bit but put in Toto instead. And then Basta was supposed to get Tinkerbell and put her in a jar for good luck or something. And I very very very very disliked the ending.

Very. Seriously. It was so.... UGH. I did not like how she

wrote down her own story and read it out. and the part where Fenoglio says "Would you put an old man to rest, meggie?" So meggie just puts him in the book too. :friends0: That was so annoying, I was OUTRAGED. And the stupid Shadow was just TOO MUCH. They overdid it. Don't get me started on the Dustfinger bit too. IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO END THIS WAY!!!!

I'm glad you're enjoying it Gyre, it tends to get very mixed reviews! Maybe I just love it because I read it as a teen (when I was around the same age as Ben and Miss Whitlock, and they loved it too). I find adults aren't as keen, so it's great to hear that you're enjoying it! I look forward to hearing your overall thoughts when you're finished it! :smile2:

That was supposed to be a ' :D ' face, I was rushing the typing as I had to shoot off. I am enjoying it quite a lot so far Roxi. :smile2:

I stopped and have now starting reading 'Inkheart', I was enjoying it, I was not concentrating on it, I stopped reading it last night and then picked it up again this morning, and enjoying it more :lol:

I know the above makes no sense (sorry) :readingtwo:

What can I say about 'Inkheart'? I LOVED it, but before I continue you should also know that at first I hated it, I was on the verge of throwing out of the window, I loved the idea of it, the book truly is for book lovers everywhere but I could not concentrate on it, so I put it back on my shelf, deciding to keep it for another day, however, the next day I took the book down and started again, this time, I could not put it down.

‘Inkheart’ is amazing story of adventure, books, everything you are looking for, the characters were fantastic, just a fantastic read and I cannot wait to read ‘Inkspell’.

:)

I'm so glad you enjoyed it Gyre! It really is a highly underrated book!

Thanks Roxi, I agree, it really is an underated book, I really enjoyed it, I could not wait to get to the next chapter, Elinor was my favourite character, I thought she was so funny, plus, it was great with the book quotes at the start of each chapter. I am glad I kept going, I truly hate giving up on a book :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love Inkheart and Inkspell. The second one is the most adorable according to me!

I think the story is really original. I mean, it seems really hard to write a story like that. I think Inkspell is such cool, with all the problems and complications! I'm already saving and working to buy Inkdeath!

PS. I'm new here. I'm from the Netherlands, so if I make any mistakes, please say. English is my second language, actually, but I learned it just 3 years ago. Most of the books that I read are English, but I still make much mistakes I think

I finally bought Inkdeath, in paperback. No excuse now not to read all three soonish.

Anybody else disappointed by the Inkdeath cover art? It has a very different feel to it than the other two, but it very close in colour to Inkspell all the same. I think it makes the set look off... ;)

Still, excited that I have it all the same :006:

I saw the film on Tuesday and (while it wasn't earth-shattering as a cinematic offering) I felt enough for the theme and characters to decide I really want to read the book; I think I shall have to order "Inkheart" from Amazon as soon as I get back to England. Sadly, money will have to be splashed... I, hater of all things hardback, rather fancy the big sparkly harback edition of this!

I don't have the hardback of Inkheart, but it IS pretty. I have the hardback of Inkspell, which is gorgeous too. But I think I'll just buy the Inkspell paperback to make the collection all one kind, coz I'm too disappointed with the third book's cover to spend money on the hardbacks. ;)

I hope you enjoy it Giulia! The movie didn't do it justice at all - and the ending is widely accepted as being stupid, as it's not actually in the book at all. I personally love Dustfinger, and choose to read the books as being about him more than any other character. And that was before I even had a Paul-Bettany-Dustfinger in my head! :006: