Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke

Riley

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the second one yet, need to get a hold of it after enjoying the first one. Don't panic Roxi, you may like it? We all have different tastes right? :irked:

I really like the idea of this series, plus the hardcovers are so glittery and shiny my inner princess covets them, yet I have read reports that brand the language as simplistic" (something which would really annoy me, especially if I went the extra mile which I never do and hunted me a hardback so I'd really like to establish this in advance)... is it?

You know what happens to Dustfinger? That totally ruins the book! Yeah, we all have different tastes I guess. Besides, I only really disliked (more like hated with a great passion) the ending.

I love how book one ends for Dustfinger. I thought it was perfect, and bittersweet in it's way. The movie killed that, by taking the start of book 2 and attaching it to the end of the movie. I did read up on what happened to Dustfinger in Book 2, and once I knew that I HAD to know what happened in the third. I don't know any details, but I know I can read the second two books knowing I'm satisfied with what awaits Dustfinger.

I really like the idea of this series, plus the hardcovers are so glittery and shiny my inner princess covets them, yet I have read reports that brand the language as simplistic" (something which would really annoy me, especially if I went the extra mile which I never do and hunted me a hardback so I'd really like to establish this in advance)... is it?

The covers aren't that glittery at all..... at least not here. I have the second, and when I read the first as a child it was the hardback from the library. They are beautiful, although I hate that the third is so close in colour to the second. It should have been green or something.

The language is pretty simple. It's a kids book, translated into English, it was never going to be an Epic was it? But I don't see how that takes away from it - on the contrary I always found the situations and characters portrayed in such simple childish terms disarming to the reader and consequently evocative of great emotion when something really good or bad happens.

But then, I'm a child at heart.

The language is pretty simple. It's a kids book, translated into English, it was never going to be an Epic was it? But I don't see how that takes away from it - on the contrary I always found the situations and characters portrayed in such simple childish terms disarming to the reader and consequently evocative of great emotion when something really good or bad happens.

But then, I'm a child at heart.

Note, I draw a big red line the width of the river Nile between "simple" and "simplistic": childlike innocence, honesty, disarming clarity of language are brilliant qualities in a book, and indeed nowadays I seem to read more children's books than ones that are geared towards adults because the standard of children's books seems not to have lowered quite as much in recent years; on the other hand, I profoundly dislike patronisation disguised as simplicity, as if children did not absorb new language from books as they do from any other source, and thus needed to be talked down to.

From what you said above, I take it you would describe this series as simple rather than simplistic Roxi?

I love how book one ends for Dustfinger. I thought it was perfect, and bittersweet in it's way. The movie killed that, by taking the start of book 2 and attaching it to the end of the movie.

I know. I just HATED HATED HATED the ending of the movie. HATED. They just had to end it as a "happily ever after" kinda thing. So they're probably not gonna make a sequel...and I didn't like the way they brought up Farrid liking Meggie. Dustfinger just randomly said it. And I also didn't like Farrid's reaction to Dustfinger's departure. He was OKAY about it. He wasn't OKAY about it in the book, and he would never be OKAY about it, EVER! :irked:

See, I choose to ignore the last ten minutes of the movie. Knock it off right when Dustfinger is walking down the road, and hey presto. Perfect.

The book ending is probably what drew me the most into the whole series. It's not what you'd expect from a kid's book, such a realistic end, if you will. I don't care what anybody says, to me the whole thing is about Dustfinger.

I'm not sure, I haven't bought it yet.

Dustfinger was gorgeous, I loved Paul Bettany well before I saw that movie and I nearly died from joy when I heard he was playing the character. He was perfect.

I know, I LOVE Paul Bettany he's a GREAAATT actor. He was so perfect in the movie though. And that part where he performs without his top on.. *thud*

Yeah, the third book was definitely disappointing for me. It might be different for you, who knows, but it definitely wasn't what I expected.

I hate Fenoglio for what he did to Dustfinger when he wrote the book :roll:

YES! And the only reason he did it is because no-one likes happy endings or something like that. That something tragic always has to happen at the end of the book. (well it wasn't like that in Inkdeath, was it?! *stabs the author* OR in the movie *stabs the director* )