Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke

Riley

What does everyone think about the books Inkheart, and Inkspell. The author, Cornelia Funke, is said to be bringing out the final book 'Inkdeath'. I love Dustfinger, and Farid, I cannot beleive how Cornelia Funke wrote her actions so life-like.

The movie will come out next year I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So what did you think ?

Edited by Nollaig
Changed the thread title to 'trilogy', to include the third book.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really struggled with Inkheart and so didn't read the other. I love the idea of characters from books being able to escape from the pages, but somehow the writing just didn't grab me. I didn't much care for the characters and I found it quite dull for the most part. I was really disappointed that I didn't like it, as I know so many people do love it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have only read Inkheart. I've got Inkspell on my TBR pile.

I thought it started and ended well but the middle seemed like padding.

They were captured and escaped, captured and escaped, some of them were captured and escaped, someone else was captured and escaped etc.

The idea is a brilliant one and I think it will make a good film.

Robson

• 4 months later...

It's a shame to see people that didn't enjoy it enough to read the next one. I thought Inkheart was brilliant, and I will be getting the sequel soon.

Inkheart IS brilliant. I have the next, but have never gotten too far into it, so I'm going re-reading it this year when I'm dedicating more time to books.

I think Inkheart is a little drawn out, but I think that if that's the only factor readers are left considering at the end, then they've missed the entire point, and heart, of the story. Also I would note the point I made in my ramble, LOTR is 'drawn out'. Inkheart is not what I would call 'drawn out.'

I saw this book in a charity shop early last year - didn't even know there was a film coming out, kept thinking I should have bought it, but didn't. Will do eventually I reckon, sounds like a lovely story (haven't seen film).

Edited by Maureen
Punctuation

• 2 weeks later...

I liked that book, was an easy read which I need most of the time :D

Haven't read the next ones though. Started the second one but couldn't be bothered at that time. Should do that and send them back to Germany as my mum wants to read them as well :)

But I remember the day when the third one arrived at our bookshop a few days before release. My now exboyfriends younger sister was about 11 at that point and absolutely loved the books, so I took one home before anyone else could get them. She nearly cried when I gave it to her :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished Inkspell (the second book) and thought it was much, much better than Inkheart. I'm glad I didn't let Inkheart put me off. I've just ordered the third one from the library.

I saw the film after I'd read Inkheart and its the only time I thought the film was better than the book. It cut out all the faffing about in the middle.

Robson

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found a book today that I'd forgotten the title of: "The Thief Lord" by Cornelia Funke. I read the book about 5 or so years ago, really liked it, then left it at home when I moved. I haven't seen it since then, so I'd forgotten the title. Just stumbled across it today while browsing at the bookstore.

I wanted to find out some books that may be similar, so took to Amazon to see what other readers of the book may have purchased. I realized that "Inkheart," "Inkspell," etc are books also written by Funke. I found this thread and saw that for the most part (except for a couple of readers), the reviews for the Ink books aren't overwhelming.

Anyone else read "The Thief Lord," and know of any books by any other authors that may be similar, but were received a bit better than Funke's Ink books?

Here's the synopsis of "The Thief Lord" :

Welcome to the magical underworld of Venice, Italy, where hidden canals and crumbling rooftops shelter runaways and children with incredible secrets... Prosper and Bo are orphans on the run for their cruel aunt and uncle. The brothers decide to hide out in Venice, where they meet a mysterious thirteen-year-old boy who calls himself "the Thief Lord."

Brilliant and charismatic, the Thief Lord leads a ring of street children who dabble in petty crimes. Prosper and Bo delight in being a part of this colorful new family. Then the Thief Lord invites them on a magical adventure to a land of forgotten mysteries that will change their lives forever!

This exciting tale of fun, flight, and freedom is sure to enchant readers and keep them guessing up until a breathtaking finale.

Well, The Thief Lord IS a kids book. I thought it was brilliant, it was my introduction to her writing and I loved it.

But then again, I think the Inkheart trilogy is the best thing sincesliced bread.

Nope, all I meant was that you shouldn't expect anything spectacular as it's primarily written for kids! Same as Inkheart. I think whats so good about her writing is it's deceptive, you forget they're only children's stories and start analysing them as though they were for adults. Least, that's what I do. I read religion and philosophy into Inkheart.

But again, sliced bread, yada.

Yeah.. I knew The Thief Lord was aimed at Young Adults and the Inkheart books were in the same section today.. YA, as well. I really enjoyed The Thief Lord, so was a bit disappointed to see that many readers didn't take to Inkheart the same way. I actually saw quite a few in the YA section today that I want.. The Graveyard Book being one of them. And I found Matilda in the children's section.. I'd like to reread that one. I must be in the mood for something light and deceptively simple. :welcomebcf:

Just to be sure, you know I was kidding, right Beth?

I actually haven't got, or subsequently read Inkdeath yet, it's still two expensive. I have Inkheart in paperback and Inkspell in hardback. I now have to decide whether I want the hardback or paper back of Inkdeath and which one of the previous two I'll get rid of.