Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke

Riley

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I only got halfway through it I am afraid. I would not normally read this kind of genre but i thought i would give it a go. i could not really identify with the characters and in the end did not really care what happened. just not my cup of tea really.

inkheart.JPG

Synopsis from Amazon:

Meggie is the daughter of a revered bookbinder called Mo whose peaceful existence is one night shattered by the arrival of Dustfinger--a shadowy man with a mysterious link to Mo's past. Mo and Meggie are soon on the move, running from something that threatens everything they hold dear. But the past inevitably catches up with them and Mo is forced to reveal to his daughter for the first time his terrible secret. He has the ability, or curse, to breathe life into any story he reads and make the characters come alive. Just such a character, the sinister Capricorn, is after Mo to ensure that he stays alive and is never returned to the pages from which he was sprung. And, of course, he'll stop at nothing to guarantee success.

This is the first book in the Inkheart trilogy, and enjoyable enough that I will be reading the next in the series. This book was full of adventure and excitement. I love the idea of being able to read characters out of a book, and I enjoyed seeing how the said characters developed in the real world.

This book is classed as young person's book, but I found it very readable and gripping. Funke writes a great story with twists and turns and some great characters. I loved Meggie's great aunt best. I would love a book collection as big as hers and she just made me laugh!

I didn't read this quickly however. I was enjoying the book but it was a slow read. However, that didn't put me off the story at all. I loved the concept, I loved the quotes from other books at the beginning of each chapter, I loved all the characters - even the ones I didn't like; this was a good fun read that I think adults should read as well.

8/10

• 1 month later...

Kenny read and finished the book and said he thought it was OK. Man on few words:D

I started it and got just over half way but had to give up on it I'm afraid wasn't holding my interest. It was well written though, but couldn't relate to the characters. I also found it difficult to imagine it happening in the present day and kept reverting back to the past...not sure why. It just didn't seem like a modern day type story to me for some reason and that was annoying me and maybe one of the reasons I gave up on it.

Thanks for letting us take part in the bookring of it.

• 1 year later...

Meggie loves books. So does her father, Mo, a bookbinder, although he has never read aloud to her since her mother mysteriously disappeared. They live quietly until the night a stranger knocks at their door. He has come with a warning that forces Mo to reveal an extraordinary secret – a storytelling secret that will change their lives for ever.

Review

Cornelia Funke started her career as an illustrator of books and this is evident throughout. At the end of every chapter there is a beautiful picture, you almost can’t wait to get to the end of every chapter to see the illustration. As exciting as the end of every chapter is, the start is just as fascinating where the author has put a quote from another story. My wish list to read has increased greatly with adding these books to my collection.

The book is not only an excellent read, it is also a good book to hold and read with its look, size and feel. Not many of the books I read are then added to my “own in hardback collection” but this book is so good it is on the list as well as the two sequels. This book is one of a trilogy although the first is also a standalone book which is probably why it made such an excellent film.

In essence this is a children’s book but like other famous books such as Harry Potter it reaches across the age ranges. Unlike all children’s books not all aspects of this book are happy and it deals with the negative and black side of the human psyche as well, although, the ending will not disappoint. The story is fascinating, with enough excellent interesting characters to make you want to pick up the sequels. This book is simply awesome.

Some books you enjoy reading to the end no matter where you are. Some books need to be savoured like a fine wine. When you don’t want to finish a book if you are tired incase you miss something you know you have a classic on your hands.

This book is simply one of those books a classic.

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

I absolutley loved the first book can't wait to read the other two.

Review

Cornelia Funke started her career as an illustrator of books and this is evident throughout. At the end of every chapter there is a beautiful picture, you almost can’t wait to get to the end of every chapter to see the illustration. As exciting as the end of every chapter is, the start is just as fascinating where the author has put a quote from another story. My wish list to read has increased greatly with adding these books to my collection.

The book is not only an excellent read, it is also a good book to hold and read with its look, size and feel. Not many of the books I read are then added to my “own in hardback collection” but this book is so good it is on the list as well as the two sequels. This book is one of a trilogy although the first is also a standalone book which is probably why it made such an excellent film.

In essence this is a children’s book but like other famous books such as Harry Potter it reaches across the age ranges. Unlike all children’s books not all aspects of this book are happy and it deals with the negative and black side of the human psyche as well, although, the ending will not disappoint. The story is fascinating, with enough excellent interesting characters to make you want to pick up the sequels. This book is simply awesome.

Some books you enjoy reading to the end no matter where you are. Some books need to be savoured like a fine wine. When you don’t want to finish a book if you are tired incase you miss something you know you have a classic on your hands.

This book is simply one of those books a classic.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started reading Inkheart. I picked it up to start reading in bed and then just kept on rfeading till I was so exhausted I literally couldn't hold the book up (or my eyes open) any longer and realised it was past 3 in the morning - no wonder I was exhausted! I am so excited by this book and cannot believe it's taken me so long to get to it!!! Why didn't someone give me a kick in the pants and say, "Kell, read this book immediately!!!"

I love both the story and the writing style, and I'm definitely going to be getting hold of the rest of the series. However, I'm now going to have to get all 3 in hardback as I'm going to keep them. My copy is paperback, so it will be replaced with a beautiful, hardwearing hardback - it's going to need it, because I think this will be read over and over again - and I'll read it to Xan as soon as he's old enough too!

Wahey! I'm glad you're loving the first one Kell. It is amazing. I had the pleasure of reading it when I was in the age group it's actually primarily intended at, and then again as an adult and finding it's just as perfect for us as for kids. Only thing I would say is a lot of people had a Matrix reaction to the trilogy - first one is great, WHAT DID THEY DO IN THE SECOND TWO it's okay just pretend it never happened.

So yeah, be prepared for that. I still love them, but it did take me about a year to get into the second one.

• 6 years later...
On 31/03/2011 at 11:31 AM, Nollaig said:

Wahey! I'm glad you're loving the first one Kell. It is amazing. I had the pleasure of reading it when I was in the age group it's actually primarily intended at, and then again as an adult and finding it's just as perfect for us as for kids. Only thing I would say is a lot of people had a Matrix reaction to the trilogy - first one is great, WHAT DID THEY DO IN THE SECOND TWO it's okay just pretend it never happened.

So yeah, be prepared for that. I still love them, but it did take me about a year to get into the second one.

I know this is several years later, but this is exactly what happened. I loved the first book, thought the second was, well, OK, but nothing special, and then couldn't even finish the third one because I really wasn't enjoying it at all!!!

16 hours ago, Kell said:

I know this is several years later, but this is exactly what happened. I loved the first book, thought the second was, well, OK, but nothing special, and then couldn't even finish the third one because I really wasn't enjoying it at all!!!

wow makes me wonder if it's worth reading the next two...

On 08/07/2017 at 1:16 PM, Kell said:

I don't think I ever finished Inkdeath either. And I don't remember much of Inkspell. Inkheart definitely works well as a stand-alone.