Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke

Riley

Well, I just imagine Paul Bettany while I'm reading it. I like that he's not black and white. Meggie is good. Mo is good. Elinor is a snob but comic relief and she's good. Capricorn is bad. Basta is bad. The Shadow is bad.

What is Dustfinger? Neither good nor bad, just a man doing anything he can to get home. That's why I love him.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am half way through 'Inkspell', I am really enjoying it.

I have the paperback of 'Inkheart' and 'Inkspell' in paperback, I have 'Inkdeath' in hardback, which is really pretty.;)

What is Dustfinger? Neither good nor bad, just a man doing anything he can to get home. That's why I love him.

Yeah, he's awesome. I love his Cosimo, though! And the Black Prince and his bear- one of my FAVES. He was so AWESOME. So heroic, so NOBLE. I put my hands down to Cornelia Funke for that one.

Read the first two books, and loved the immensely. I can't wait to order the third in the trilogy and get reading it right away. I have to say I haven't seen the film yet - well, I saw the first five minutes before my TV went off - but I do want to make sure I get around to it eventually. I just love how the characters work in these novels, they just clash against each other and feed off each other superbly. Dustfinger especially, is fantastic, and he is what makes the trilogy for me.

Major spoiler warning:

I was so disappointed when he died at the end of the second book to save Farid, I nearly cried.

I haven't read book two yet, and my major problem is that I keep starting with book one again, and I lose interest coz I've read it so much. So I think what I'll do this time read an in-depth synopsis of the first to refresh my memory, and just get into book two.

Although, I did know that that happened Ben - that's what I love about Cornelia Funke. She SAID in Inkheart that's what would happen. That's how the story was written, even if how it comes about changes. Course, I also know what happens in book three. ;)

My heart jumped for a minute then when you said you hadn't read book two. I thought my spoiler had given away something that happened that you didn't know about. Then I read on. ;) I know what you mean about her saying it was going to happen, but it still hit me all the same when it happened. I'm looking forward to reading the third though and finding out where the story is going to go now. I just hope it's a decent, enjoyable ending.

I've just read a synopsis of Inkheart, and read the final couple of chapters again. Finally going to make a start on Inkspell again ;) Last time I did, was about 17, and I didn't get far. Probably because that was around when I stopped reading, and because I knew I'd be waiting a couple of years for the third part. Now I have the third part, off I go! :006:

Okay, so, I'm delighted I decided to go this way about things. I couldn't have stuck reading Inkheart again (as I've restarted and nearly completed it twice in the last year, and I hate overreading things) but I've read 180 pages of Inkspell already. Nearly a third of the way through! Which is great. I think I got about halfway last time, but I've forgotten what happens and am only recalling bits as I read them.

I know it's a translation from German, but I really do think they're beautifully written books. The worlds seem so real - I have an image in my head of Fenoglio's room in Minerva's house, with fairy nests and a window looking down into narrow cobbled streets. Little details like seeing a rubbish collecter wheeling a barrow around and getting stuck between buildings with it - add an amazing air of realism. Maybe it's because the characters in Inkheart became so real in our world, that when placed back in the Inkworld they add their realism to it. But the descriptions are great. I remember when I was about 15, reading Inkheart the first time, I drew scenes from the book, mostly ones with Dustfinger as I loved him. I still have my drawings, and it's funny how like Paul Bettany they look. It's very rare a book (or series) conjours solid locations and appearances in my head.

I'm rambling. Man I love these books.

Edited by Nollaig

That is what I am enjoying most about 'Inkspell' (as mentioned by the lovely Roxi) is how visual the book is, the wayless woods, everything ;)

I love the little creatures! The fire elves, blue fairies and the water nymphs. She doesn't explain WHY anything is the way it is, just states it matter-of-factly, and she draws so much on typical fairytale creatures (fairies, brownies, elves that are small and not gorgeous like Arwen and Legolas etc) that it's much easier to believe. It's actually written very much in the style of an old fashioned fairytale, isn't it? Up to over 200 pages now.

I love the little creatures! The fire elves, blue fairies and the water nymphs. She doesn't explain WHY anything is the way it is, just states it matter-of-factly, and she draws so much on typical fairytale creatures (fairies, brownies, elves that are small and not gorgeous like Arwen and Legolas etc) that it's much easier to believe. It's actually written very much in the style of an old fashioned fairytale, isn't it? Up to over 200 pages now.

I agree Roxi, it is like that, I love the idea of the fairies and the glass men, I am not very good in the wording stakes, basically its a lovely world that Cornelia Funke has created and reminds me of stories growing up ;)

I'm 419 pages into this, since yesterday afternoon. Still can't believe it's been on my shelf for years without being read.

I still love Dustfinger. I'm sorry, but I have to have a ramble about him.

I always say the reason I love him is because he's so life-like. He's a traitor. He gets scared, and he runs away. He looks out for himself, just like any normal person in real life would do. Thrust into a world and a life that isn't ours, and offered the chance to return to our own, who wouldn't betray someone insignifcant to them to take it? A hero wouldn't - but Dustfinger isn't a hero, he's just a man. At the same time, there seems to be a sort of strength in his resignation to his own death - wanting to get back into the Inkworld even knowing that he will die - in Inkspell, taking Gwin with him when he rediscovers him, as if challenging fate to do it's worst. And he's also a good man. Being weak and fearful doesn't make someone bad - he does feel guilty about what he does, and he tries to make up for it, because his heart always fails to take on board what his head is saying when it tells him to man up and forget everyone else. He finds it easier to betray others because he knows it's easier to be weak than to be strong - it's easier to play a role that everyone can hate, because then no one will get close to him. It's not so evident in Inkheart, but in Inkspell when he returns to the Inkworld, and you see his fear of returning to Roxane, alongside his desire to do so, and his growing fondness for the son he never had in Farid. Not only that, but in seeing the feelings he holds for both Roxane AND Resa - well isn't that what life is like? We don't always only want one person - and sometimes we convince ourselves to settle for one or the other. It's not all true love and roses. He wants to love (and be loved?) but is too scared to let it happen. All the same, he seems to be redeeming himself, he seems adamant to try and help Meggie save Mo and Resa (in Inkspell). His character is really developing. He's getting softer, and more attached to the people he's spent the last couple of years being involved in adventures with. And on top of all this, theres something captivating about him. His ability with fire and wind, natural elements, even how he moves among the creatures of the Wayless Woods - it's like a mysticism one can only get from a closeness with nature. Maybe he's not so good with people, but he's good with nature, and I like that.

Cornelia Funke said herself that Dustfinger is the most vivid character ever to have 'stepped into (her) writing room', and I really would swear that the Inkheart Trilogy really is actually all about him.

Edited by Nollaig

Great quote in your siggy Roxi (I didn't read the spoiler).

I do like Dustfinger, he is a flawed character but he knows it, I like his directness, I also have a soft spot for Elinor, despite her rough exterior, she has a lot of love to give ;)

The quote in my sig sums up so much of what I love about book 1. Talk about existentialism in a kid's book! ;)

Gyre, my spoiler should be okay for you to read, it's all based on Inkheart and the first half of Inkspell. Still, maybe you should wait til you have it all read.

ETA: Finished Inkspell. Cried like a baby. Onto the third part!!

ETA: Dedication inside the front cover of Inkdeath: To Rolf (Cornelia's husband who died 2006) - it was the best of things to be married to Dustfinger.

Edited by Nollaig

It just so happens she was my favourite character in the film, you know :lol: but then, I am a snob so I suppose it follows.

She's not as funny in the book. In fact, nothing is as funny in the book. The bad guys aren't described as looking so comical, and they CERTAINLY don't have ink tattooed on their faces. I was surprised at how comedic they made the movie. Elinor's mostly amusing in the book because she's snobby but she's stubborn, and she's not afraid to speak up. It's not things like, 'oh well I suppose we're going to have to try to escape now :roll:'.

HAH! Awesome! I totally want to convert people. It's Dustfinger thats irresistable, trust me.

Seconded. I mean.. in a loveable character type of way.. :D

Great series. Definitely need to get my hands on Inkdeath. :lol: