A new first line of current book

Nici

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Sarah told me Daniel had died, the cuckoo clock opened and out flew sound, a bird, two figures. The voice of the cuckoo echoed, louder than the aeroplanes over- head, and opposite the clock, evening shadows stirred.

Grace Williams says it loud - Emma Henderson

Dear Franklin,

I'm unsure why one trifling incident this afternoon has moved me to write to you.

- We Need to Talk About Kevin, Lionel Shriver

• 9 months later...

I can't believe it's been so long since we used this thread - it used to be one of my regular haunts! So bumping with my current read:

In the Lenin Barracks in Barcelona, the day before I joined the militia, I saw an Italian militiaman standing in from of the officers' table.

Homage To Catalonia - George Orwell

"IT WAS THE COLDEST WINTER FOR FORTY-FIVE YEARS."

Which I think isn't all that intriguing, but you add the rest of the passage and it gets better

"Villages in the English countryside were cut off by the snow and the Thames froze over. One day in January the Glasgow-London train arrived at Euston twenty-four hours late. The snow and the blackout combined to make motoring perilous; road accidents doubled, and people told jokes about how it was more risky to drive an Austin Seven along Piccadilly at night than to take a tank across the Siegfried Line."

Follett, Ken - Eye Of The Needle

I like the way he tells the reader that things are not normal without immediately talking about The Blitz. It's other things around England that are not normal as well, then later the reader hears about the war. As is usual, the book continues to get better with each page.

Sam stepped out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist and rubbing his hair with another.

It's not as bad as it sounds!!! I swear :lol:

The Kingdom by Clive Cussler

Edited by Devi

• 2 weeks later...

Harriet and David met each other at an office party neither had particularly wanted to go to, and both knew at once that this was what they had been waiting for.

'The Fifth Child' by Doris Lessing (NB This month's Reading Circle read)

• 2 weeks later...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

...it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness; it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity; it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness; it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair; we had everything before us, we had nothing before us; we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

The man in the sharp blue suit stood atop a wooded hill, dangling an expensive pair of leather shoes from one hand, and watched grey smoke belch from the abattoir below. - Apocalypse Cow - Michael Logan.