My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, thinking about it, it seems like nobody in that family is actually talking to or listening to anyone else in the family. nobody knows how anyone's feelnig & it's all just taken as given that they all feel the same about what's happening. It's interestnig to see how even basic communication falls by the wayside when something like this hapens to a family.

Exactly! Its like everyone in the fam is in their own little world and not in tune with each other

• 1 month later...
There was a point brought up at The Posh Club last night that I wonder if anyone here picked up on (I didn't, but when it was mentioned it was like an "oh yeah!" moment - LOL!). All the way through, there was chapters narrated frmo every character's point of view - except Kate's. She's the only one who doesn't get to tell her side of the story, which kind of mirrors what the story's about in the first place - that nobody's listening to what SHE wants.

I read this last night it was such a revelation I couldnt stop thinking about it - so cleverly done. The book lulls you into feeling sympathy for Anna because her whole life she is being forced to do things with out her consent. It now makes so much sense that Kate was in the same situation but no one except Anna, not even you as the reader, listened to Kate. It made Annas situation all the more difficult to know that her sister didnt want her to donate.

I was chatting to a client today who had read the book and she, like I, felt the click as it all made sense. Its amazing how obvious it is but neither of us picked up on it.

I plan to read the book again in the future to see how this changes it.

It's quite clever that it's written that way, as it means that not only is her family nt hearing her, we're not either - not until the end when Anna tells everyone it's what Kate wants - it's only after that point that we hear from Kate herself.

• 3 weeks later...
Tash wrote:

It's to do with his job Maureen lol I thought he was one thing, then he got called out to something else, then back to the other thing and now I'm just totally confused as to which job he actually does do...unless in the US those two jobs are combined in which case, eeeeek!

Kell wrote:

I got confused over that for a bit too - it seems he's a fireman, but he also gets called ot to act as a paramedic - very strange to my mind.

A firefighter, fireman, or firewoman, is a person who is trained and equipped to put out fires, rescue people, pets, aid and assist during natural disasters and, increasingly, provide emergency medical services. The fire service, also known in some countries as the fire brigade or fire department, is one of the emergency services.
from Wikipedia.

I remembered we had discussed this, and a few days ago I was talking to a fireman, whose job is mostly search and rescue, emergency medical help, help during floods etc. (In fact he mentioned a lot of things - except for putting out fires! :))

• 5 months later...

I finished 'My Sister's Keeper' this evening and I enjoyed it a lot than 'Keeping Faith'.

It was a great story, the characters were brilliant, I loved the way it was written, I was half-way through before realising that Kate had not say anything, then of course you realised that not only Anna but Kate is not being listened to.

In a lot of ways, I think every member of the family were not being listened to either, as in they weren't listening to each other anymore, everything had been lost due to Kate's illness, so it was sad to read.

The end was heartbreaking but I think it was an appropriate ending.

:lol:

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reopening this thread after such a long time (I'm not sure wether book circle threads are meant to continue on once the month is finished) but I had a question about this book.

I read it last WE and loved it and hated it at the same time. I thought it was great in many ways but in others it was just too much.

But the fact is I cant quite get it out of my head since then... And I just realised something: whose voice do you think it is in the prologue? It is the only part which isnt labelled and I always assumed it was Anna, talking about how she sometimes dreamt of killing her sister. But at the end the person speaking says 'she' ended up killing herself on her own... Is this really Kate speaking? Saying she felt she only existed compared to her sister??

When you think about it, its the only explanation that makes sense, but it seems to put an entirely different perspective on her caracter and the way she saw things. If so, it is very cleverly done indeed!

Sorry for reopening this thread after such a long time (I'm not sure wether book circle threads are meant to continue on once the month is finished) but I had a question about this book.

You can post any time - in fact the threads are never closed. Glad to see people post in past reading circles in fact, especially if the person was not a member at the time the book was being read. :welcome:

I read it last WE and loved it and hated it at the same time. I thought it was great in many ways but in others it was just too much.

But the fact is I cant quite get it out of my head since then... And I just realised something: whose voice do you think it is in the prologue? It is the only part which isnt labelled and I always assumed it was Anna, talking about how she sometimes dreamt of killing her sister. But at the end the person speaking says 'she' ended up killing herself on her own... Is this really Kate speaking? Saying she felt she only existed compared to her sister??

When you think about it, its the only explanation that makes sense, but it seems to put an entirely different perspective on her caracter and the way she saw things. If so, it is very cleverly done indeed!

I thought that the voice was Anna's until I came to the end of the book and I decided it was Kate's. I might be wrong, but that's the way of looking at it that I find 'fits' the best.

I read this a few years ago, and was captivated by it. I remember becoming really angry with Anna's mother, although it is impossible to imagine what she must have been going through.

I thought the book was very well written and presented the subject from a very human point of view.

However, I am famously hard to completely please:smile2:, and there was one part that disappointed me...

...the ending. It just felt like a real cop out for Anna to be killed after everything that had happened. I also felt that Jesse's story was wrapped up too conveniently, although I am probably nitpicking there.

Overall though, a terrific read.

However, I am famously hard to completely please:smile2:, and there was one part that disappointed me...

...the ending. It just felt like a real cop out for Anna to be killed after everything that had happened. I also felt that Jesse's story was wrapped up too conveniently, although I am probably nitpicking there.

I wouldnt say you are nitpicking, I was bothered by the same things.

Actually at one point, when the accident had just happened and we could feel it was someone Brian knew but didnt know who yet, I thought it would be Jess in the car... because it felt like he was the real forgotten one in the book: he had his vague storyline but he seemed barely connected to the rest of the family and a complete stranger to the trial issue. Dont know if that makes sense.

Another bit which bothered me was the storyline between Julia and Campbell. It seemed too coincidental and fake, as if it had been put there to add a bit of drama... as if there wasn't enough already with the main storyline. But I'm definitely nitpicking there :welcome:

I just felt that these points weighed down on the rest of the book which, as you said was really well written and explored in depth a very difficult theme. A very compelling book!

• 7 months later...
. I have never read any of Jodi Picoult's books but I will definitely be buying this book to read for my hols next month before I see the film.

I would def read the book before the movie....just incase the change things. You know what it is like when they do book --> movie:blush:

I definately want to see the movie, but really wish that I could see it with my Mom & sisters. As it is, if I am going to get to see it while it is in the cinema, I will have to go see it by myself. :D