My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sooo cried my eyes out when I saw the film, unbelievable. I hardly ever cry watching films but this one...:) Maybe it's cause I've had cancer myself when I was 4. Can't remember much but I always find that cancer stories upset me very much. Some sort of attachment I guess.

Anyway, I wasn't happy that they changed the ending, it was one of the things that made you think about the story all over again.

If Kate would have accepted Anna's kidney in the first place they could both have lived.

But yeah, the book was amazing and I'm still trying to get my mum to read it. Somehow she doesn't want to. Can't imagine why :D

• 1 month later...

I cried so much at the end of this book that I couldn't finish it. I had to cry for a good ten minutes before I could read it again (and I still carried on crying).

Brilliant book, very well written. Can't wait to see the film now.

• 9 months later...

This is one of my fave books ever....and then I saw the movie. Man, was I ticked at the ending! (not to mention a lot of distortion throughout as well) I'm still suprised Ms. Picoult suppoted it :D

Probably one of the best books I've ever read :) However, we're watching the film at the moment in RE, and I must say it's the worst film adaptation I've ever seen! :D

Even my 15 year old son loved the book - and everyone I know who has both read the book and seen the film (including him) hated the film and just couldn't understand why the end had been changed.

• 3 months later...
There was a point brought up at The Posh Club last night that I wonder if anyone here picked up on (I didn't, but when it was mentioned it was like an "oh yeah!" moment - LOL!). All the way through, there was chapters narrated frmo every character's point of view - except Kate's. She's the only one who doesn't get to tell her side of the story, which kind of mirrors what the story's about in the first place - that nobody's listening to what SHE wants.

Din't even think of that and no one else at my club brought it up.

I really like that (it's a bit like Summer Sisters), that Kate who everything is about never really get to be a part of the telling. But! the first quote of the book, the one that starts with:

In my first memory, I am three years old and I am trying to kill my sister.- that's Kate. It's such a powerful beginning and heartbreaking it shows how guilty Kate feels about Anna's death, although she tries to tell herself that Anna did it herself...

It's fitting that it's Kate who gets the first and last word of the novel when she doesn't have a chapter in it.

This is on the list of most banned books for last year. One of the reasons given was homosexual themes. Maybe I'm not remembering clearly but I didn't think there was any homosexuality in My Sister's Keeper?

This is on the list of most banned books for last year. One of the reasons given was homosexual themes. Maybe I'm not remembering clearly but I didn't think there was any homosexuality in My Sister's Keeper?

I was thinking that too, I've read it more than once, and absolutely nothing comes to mind, it's quite baffling really :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

That's my problem. Having read and enjoyed the book, I'm actually a bit sceptic about watching the film just in case it ruins everything for me. I have finished the book and impressed with the writing and storyline. I don't want this perception to change if I watch the film, which seems to be getting fairly negative reviews. I suppose these reviews are mostly by people who have read the book and realise how it's supposed to be.