Book Spa

Nellie

My husband has bought me a Book Spa as a present! It's from an independent bookshop in Bath. You go along and chat to the owner for an hour or so whilst sat in a comfy chair with some tea and cake. The shop owner listens to what you like to read and then makes suggestions about what else you might like to try. Included in the gift is a some of money to spend on books from the shop. You then get time in the "Bibliotherapy Room" to look at the suggestions and decide what you would like!

The Bibliotherapy room is wonderful, comfy chairs, a fire, beautiful decor. The staff are wonderful, they know their books and can't do enough to help. The shop itself is stunning, and is almost like stepping into a make believe shop from a book, its so perfect.

I am so excited about my Book Spa, I will let you all know how I get on and what books I come back with! :)

Am I allowed to put the link up for folks, or is that advertising?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the staff really know their stuff, then this is truly an interesting idea! I'm just a little bit sceptical, I'm afraid that most on this forum could give them a run for their money. But it does sound like a great idea.

And a huge applaud to your husband for coming up with a present that wonderful!

I'm just a little bit sceptical, I'm afraid that most on this forum could give them a run for their money.

Ah, that goes without sayig - I reckon our members are rather a special lot. It's like a case of "If Carlsberg ran bookshops..." :)

Wouldn't it be awesome to have a job where you can talk to people about books all day, and recommend them things they might like? :) And I mean specifically in the environment described by Nellie, not just working in a bookshop (although I'd take that too!)

I bet jobs there would be very hard to come by.

The shop is called Mr B's Emporium Of Reading Delights. 10/10 for the name of the shop I say!

The Book Spa is about half way down the page.

When I called up to book, they asked me briefly what I liked to read and what sorts of things I was interested in, as depending what I wanted to talk about depended which one of their team talked to me.

If the staff really know their stuff, then this is truly an interesting idea! I'm just a little bit sceptical, I'm afraid that most on this forum could give them a run for their money. But it does sound like a great idea.

To be fair, they seem to know their stuff, but they don't pretend to know it all. I am sure an hour with someone from this forum who is as passionate about books as they are would be a treat for them too!

The one thing I really like about the shop is that when you walk in you are not confronted with the Bestseller lists like in the high street chains. They have their own lists for different genres full of all sorts of books, some well known, some not, but it gives you a chance to discover something new. :)

They won independent bookseller of the year 2008, and well deserved too is what I say!

I have lived near to Bath for the last twenty years. I don't know how long this shop has been there, but I have never heard of or seen it before! It's in a fairly quite street behind the main shopping street.

I will definitely be paying a visit to it when I go into Bath next week! :D

Wow - that sounds really great! I wish you a wonderful day there and am curious to hear how you liked it and which books they recommended to you - and after some time it would be great to hear whether you liked their books.

I also hope that this idea spreads...may be I should start telling all the book sellers I come accross about it :D