Entertaining Angels Joanna Bell

Kell

Anyone who would like to get hold of a copy of this book and join in the circle - there are a few copies available at

Green Metropolis

Also available at Amazon. See link on site front page!

The Reading Circle choice for September is Entertaining Angels by Joanna Bell:

Joshua Gilfoyle has decided there are two things he wants from life before he dies: to find his lost son and to commission an artist to produce his lasting legacy - a new angel for Foxbarton church. His family can't understand why he's already bidding his life farewell, but Joshua is not a man used to opposition. However Julia, the artist he's employed, doesn't believe in angels - unlike her daughter Hebe. Although she's desperate for the commission, she's frightened her artistic inspiration has run dry and is beginning to wonder whether making the angel is beyond her ability. But as Hebe's extraordinary gift begins to affect everyone around her, including even irascible old Joshua himself, there seems to be more than a touch of magic in the air as the mysteries of the past finally begin to reveal themselves.

Some questions to consider:

1- Who was your favourite character and why?

2- Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

3- Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

4- Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

5- Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

(You do not have to answer all, or indeed, any, of these questions, they are meant only as points for you to perhaps mull over as you read, and provoke more discussion. Please feel free to ask and answer any questions that come up as you read.)

IF ANYONE CAN FIND A READING GUIDE / DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR THIS BOOK, PLEASE LET ME KNOW VIA PM SO WE CAN ADD MORE SPECIFIC QUESTIONS TOO.

Ta muchly, Kell.

Edited by Kell

• 2 weeks later...

1-Who was your favourite character and why?

I loved Hebe, her originality and spirit, and Mary Braithwaite different sorts of angels.

2- Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

Although it was set over quite a short period of time I did enjoy

the section where Hebe was curing the grandpa and charming the pants of him at the same time. The section about Simon and Sonja were unneccessary

3- Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

I think this is my genre, Claire Chambers, Maggie O'Farrell, Jane Gardem. Great

4- Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

No

5- Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

I really enjoyed this, felt its theme of finding angels everywhere was lovely.

This is what I posted about it on my blog...

I thought this book was going to be a standard chick-lit story, but it wasn’t really. It’s a family saga with a touch of magic about it, and yet it’s convincing. The characters are well-written and the autistic girl at the centre of it feels as though she’s believable. I don’t have much experience of autism to draw on, but from my understanding of it (and my experiences of a friend’s son who has Asperger’s), I’d say Hebe is fairly characteristic of a child with the condition. The author is a GP so I guess she knows her stuff!

Joshua is very set in his ways and believes that Hebe should live in a home because she’s ‘retarded’. He feels very uncomfortable around her. However, something happens that leads to Hebe spending more and more time with the bigoted old man that she calls ‘Grandpa’ and gradually he begins to mellow…

Perhaps my only slight criticism is that the loose ends all tie together rather conveniently at the end, but then I read this purely to be entertained - and it did that rather well!

4/5

ETA: I think it's a real shame that her publishers have dropped her because she's "too mystical for the current publishing market" as I thought it was a charming book and I'd like to read her Pillars of Salt some time.

She also writes as Mary Selby. :D

Edited by Janet

I thought this was a lovely book, but then I usually have my head in the clouds looking for angels (angels, fairies, whatever). I was intrigued by Hebe's autism. It is a very interesting condition, and it was great how she managed to connect with Johua and bring him round from his selfishness and prejudice. It was lovely how her family cared for her, especially the children.

I think the character of Sonja could have been written better, and

the ending could have been longer, more drawn out, instead of tying up so quickly and so well. Maybe some bits of the ending were not necessary.

There are angels everywhere in the book, and even different concepts of how angels can be used. It gives the impression that different angels have different purposes, or maybe they are all versatile.

Well I am sorry to say I am not really enjoying this book. There is something about the writing style that I am struggling with. I don't like the way the viewpoint keeps changing, or the over long sentences. It's frustrating, because while some of the writing is good, other bits are clumsy. It seems a little inconsistent. But it's more than that. I'm not really engaging with the characters yet, and I'm finding it a little bit boring so far. I'm on page 37. I don't know if I'm going to continue with it or not :D

• 2 weeks later...