Weave

Title of book: Promise not to tell

Name of author: Jennifer McMahon

No of pages: 272 pages

ISBN-10: 0752882988

ISBN-13: 978-0752882987

51EjSXZYoOL_SS500_.jpg

Synopsis:

Kate Cypher has returned home to Vermont, after a telephone call from friends who are worried about her mother's failing health. On the night she arrives, a young girl is murdered, a horrific crime that eerily mirrors another from Kate's childhood. Three decades earlier, her misfit friend Del, shunned and derided by her classmates as "the potato girl", was brutally slain. Del's killer was never found, and Del achieved immortality in local legends and ghost stories. Now, as the new murder investigation draws Kate irresistibly in, her past and present collide in terrifying and unexpected ways. But nothing is quite what it seems - and the grim spectres of her childhood are far from forgotten.

‘Promise not to tell’ tells the story of Kate Cypher, a woman who has been running from her past ever since the untimely death of friend, Del. Kate finds herself back in her hometown and facing her past and the chain of events which has lead to the death of another girl, the very night that Kate arrives back in town.

‘Promise not to tell’ is an interesting story, it covers various subjects, childhood friends, family, secrets, etc. Jennifer McMahon does an excellent job of presenting the characters, you feel you know the characters well, especially Kate, all through the book, she struggles with various emotions which you sympathise with.

‘Promise not to tell’ is not just a murder mystery story but also a story about growing up, the feelings of childhood isolation, the need to fit in. There is an excellent twist at the end which I did not expect which I am sure readers will enjoy. I did enjoy reading this book.

The only downside of the book was the way the police conducted the investigation into the most recent murder with Kate, at times, I found myself thinking, ‘what are they thinking’ but in all honesty it is my way of thinking, I got past it because the story is excellent.

Rating: 7/10 (mainly because of the police in the story)

It is really good Lily and I hope you enjoy it. I would have sent you my copy but I just passed it to my friend today.:)