Adverts you like/dislike?

Weave

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one with the bloke in the psychiatrists chair who opens his mouth and audio for classic adverts comes out.

I quite like that one, I remember all the classic ads he comes out with!

I don't like the Evian babies one, it's creepy.

The bed one where the spring goes and the cat gets catapulted up in the air makes me laugh. :blush:

When they say they buy any car, how can they know someone isn't going to build a car and try and sell it to them. The basic construction of early models isn't exactly rocket science, and technically it would still be a car. They should be more specific - which is a gripe I could level at most adverts these days.

There's a couple of ads for beds that make me laugh (I don't know if they're both for the same company). There's the one where the couple are in bed and springs are popping up on the wife's side - the husband just smirks until one comes up on his side. His pained expression and the "ooh!" tell you where it's gone!! :)

The other one is where the fluffy ginger cat gets catapulted (no pun intended) up in the air by the mattress spring! (Sorry to all you cat lovers!)

• 2 weeks later...

Any advert for insurance, they are annoying, patronising and usually have characters i wouldn't let near my house let alone sell me insurance..oh and all the furniture shop adverts particularly annoying in the sales..THE SALES LAST ALL YEAR IN THESE PLACES!!!!!!!:D

I adore the "little cactus" advert - it's hilarious!

Can't stand the Cow and Gate follow on milk advert with the giant cup of milk. "Oh, quick, your kid isn't getting enough iron so you MUST buy our formula!"

Actually, no, my kid gets a healthy, balanced diet - he started on breastmilk and continued with it for more than 14 months and his solid meals contain plenty of iron-rich foods, so if I were to give him your formula, he'd probably get too much iron! Honestly, those adverts are just a total scam! I have no problem with people using formula for their babies, but the adverts just scaremonger and target already-anxious parents. :D

I heard (from a reliable individual) that the only reason companies produce follow-on milk is so they can advertise their products on television. There is a rule somewhere that says baby milk can't be advertised on television, so the 'follow-on milk' was created as a way to get the companies some screen time. It has something to do with the government's push to get mothers breastfeeding, but without checking through the thousands of pages of television regulations myself I can't say for sure if the info is accurate.

Yup - you are correct. There is a complete ban on advertising or promotion of formula as an alternative for breastfeeding for newborns and babies up to the age of six months, which is why they created "follow-on" milk and they all have "when you're ready to move on from breastfeeding..." or "from 6 months old, your baby needs..." - it's to get around the guidelines.