Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady by Samuel Richardson

Lukeozade100

Hi, I thought that this might be the best place for this;

If you haven't heard of this book this is apparently the longest novel in English literature, weighing in at a wonderful 1536 pages. I only know one person who has even attempted to read this, but she says that its actually alright though one of the slowest paced books shes ever read. So I was wondering if anyone here had read it and if they had any opinions on it...

You may even sway me into reading it, though I am going to require a LOT of persuasion, especially when the pile of books next to my bed include;

The Histories by Herodotus (the book without accompanieing notes weighing in at a relativley weak 603 pages)

Leo Tolstoys Anna Karenina (A much more reasonable 811 pages without notes) &

Italian Foltales compiled and edited by Italo Calvino (200 fairytales squished into a magical 703 pages, though this is for reading when I want something very light and quick (each fairtale being very short!))

Anyway, what I wouldn't give right now for a nice novella...

I thought I might as well actually use this as a nice little list of 'chunky books' that i've read and give thoughts on those that i'm reading as well; (are we allowed to edit posts, if so, sorry for the double post & could someone point me to the right button please :blush:)

Here go's, so far in my reading career i have read these 'doorstoppers';

Louis de Bernieres - Captain Corelli's Mandolin (533pg) - One of my favourite books that I have ever read, it is such a good story, funny and touching and very easy to read.

Bill Bryson - A Short History Of Nearl Everything (574pg) - I don't know if this really counts in the 'challenge', but it was interesting, though much more dense than the wonderful CCM

George Eliot - Middlemarch (838pg sans notes) - Apart from ginormous fantasy books I read when I was 12/13 to bridge the gap between finding most childrens books to easy and most aduly books to unnaproachable (when you know that your getting bored of kids books, moving over to the adult bit in a bookshop can be really daunting!!) This is probably the biggest book I have ever read. Though it is wonderful. And it does contain a poem I really like;

A child forsaken, waking suddenly,

Whose gaze afeard on all things round doth rove,

And seeth only that it cannot see

The meeting eyes of love.

Stephen Fry - Making History (572pg) - This really is a wonderful book as well, it has a really interesting premise (changing the past, how it affects the future etc.) and is well worth a read.

David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas (529pg) - Again, a fantastic book, as the blurb says 'six interlocking lives - one amazing adventure'.

C. J. Sansom - Winter In Madrid (535pg) - This is probably the only book here that didn't really win me over to it, it was never really going to be my sort of book, but after reading The shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon & Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell I had wanted something set in spain and its civil war had begun to pique my interest. Sadly it didn't keep my interest going.

Harry Thompson - This Thing Of Darkness (610pg) - Even if your not interested in Charles Darwin this is still an amazing novel. I feel sadly missed by many people. It follows Darwins travels on The Beagle and is written so so well and is an incredibly good book.

Theres a few other 'tomes' i've read that are pretty darn huge, but none of these are novels on their own, generally trilogys or as with The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, a trilogy in six parts. There may be one or two books that I have lent to people or have dissapeared that break the 500pg barrier, but sadly they are probably not to be seen again. B)

• 7 months later...

Yup, I've read Clarissa - I agree it isn't a fast read, neither was Pamela, also by Richardson which is about a serving maid's determined resistance to her employer's attempts to seduce her. It was written as an encouragement to sevants to keep chaste which must mean that it was quite common for maids to be literate as Pamela isn't short, about 1000 pags as far as I can remember.