Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

Janet

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

022-2008-Aug-04-OrangesAreNotTheOnl.jpg

The ‘Blurb’

Innovative in style, its humour by turns punchy and tender, Oranges are not the only fruit is a few days ride into the bizarre outposts of religious excess and human obsession. It’s a love story too.

This is a semi-autobiographical novel, loosely based on Winterson’s childhood/teenage years.

Jeanette’s mother has a “mysterious attitude towards the begetting of children; it wasn’t that she couldn’t do it, more that she didn’t want to do it. She was very bitter about the Virgin Mary getting in first…”

This is a novel about religion and sexual awakening. The story deals with Jeanette’s feelings of confusion over her love for God and the conflict between that, and her developing feelings towards females. Her mother, a staunch evangelist, doesn’t like sex, in any of its forms and so when she discovers her daughter’s attraction to the same sex, she and the church decide action must be taken to stamp it out.

This book, which won the Whitbread Award for a First Novel in 1985, is both funny and poignant and was an enjoyable read.

The paperback is 171 pages long and is published by Vintage. The ISBN number is 978-0099935704.

7/10

(Read August 2008)

I have always wanted to read this book but never got around it, great review Janet, I am adding it to my wish list:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I always find books like this so interesting. I find the strength of a child’s ability to deal with an outwardly unloving and somewhat abusive parent amazing. I love how JW can look back on her childhood with such humour and not be self indulgent or bitter over such an upbringing.

I did the feel the book because less interesting as Jeanette grew up and I wasn’t really that interested in her discovering her sexuality and then the interrupting story of the magical forest and Sir Percival towards the end of the book were off-putting

I'll keep my eye out for this. Absolutely loved Lighthousekeeping by this author.

I have a copy of this in a pile of books that were passed on to me and I wasn't sure about it but on your recommendation I shall move it on to the to be read pile

IAbsolutely loved Lighthousekeeping by this author.

I have a copy of this in a pile of books that were passed on to me and I wasn't sure about it but on your recommendation I shall move it on to the to be read pile

When you do, Easy Reader, let me know what you think. I don't think I've seen anyone else comment on this book.