Have you read a book in one sitting?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it bad that I sometimes wish I would break a limb so I could stay at home for a month or two and just read guilt-free?
I wouldn't say it's bad, just perhaps unwise :welcome2: my foot for instance never healed, several limpin' years after the event it was discovered that the straight bone had set at a right angle.

I think that while books are the perfect antidote to the sheer boredom of broken bones, there must be less invasive ways of securing oneself a bit of free time :)!

You're right of course, and I really don't fancy doing an injury to myself or getting sick. Obviously the ideal method of getting endless time to read is to win lotto and take an early retirement. :welcome2: Haven't had much luck yet though.

Is it bad that I sometimes wish I would break a limb so I could stay at home for a month or two and just read guilt-free? :welcome2:

OOOOooooh, please be careful what you wish for Kylie:roll: While it was nice to be able to read, guilt-free, it wasn't worth the original pain and inconvenience (I broke my shoulder as well) and having to be taken out in a wheelchair was quite a novelty as well. The best thing is just to rearrange your routine and allow yourself time out to read - each day. That way no guilt is attached and you can say you have earned your reading time. With the compensation I received from my accident, I had a conservatory built and that is now my quiet reading area.

I have spent my last Halloween night on a ferry, I had to come back home from Genoa). I was alone, so I spent the thirty-hour on board reading. I finished People of the book by Geraldine Brooks, and started and finished The elephant vanishes by Haruki Murakami. Then, just before arriving, I started The powerbook by Jeanette Winterson. It was a very long one-sitting :welcome2:

Is it bad that I sometimes wish I would break a limb so I could stay at home for a month or two and just read guilt-free? :welcome2:

How about fake-a-break? You could start a trend amongst book lovers! :)

All those huge tomes, all those books series............ooh the possibilities. :eek:

In my carefree, misspent youth, I would have thought nothing of reading a book in one sitting, with my Mum telling me to get off my backside and do something useful.:welcome2:

Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to, I can't justify reading in one sitting as there is always something else that needs my attention. I never read so many books though as when I was off work for 2 months with a broken ankle - I could do nothing else but read - it was great:D

I agree I don't have the time at home, whether it is work, kids or housework demanding my attention. but when I am on the plane to the states I can sometimes fit in a whole book. I quite often read Patterson books in one sitting.

I read Blindsighted and Kisscut by Karin Slaughter in one sitting due to being in hosptial.

i honestly don't know how someone can sit and read something in one sitting but tomorrow i am gonna try this on a book i am having problems with cos i want to read it but its not keeping me gripped!!!

I can't do it very often even if I wanted too. but with certain books I can. I will test my theory out on Tuesday when I finally am able to go back to the states.

Yesterday I read Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris in one sitting (granted it's not very big) and nearly managed to finish Tempted but still have 50 pages to read :exc:

You did? Well that makes me look forward to the book a lot more, even though I don't thin I will be reading it for a little while yet. I was nearly able to read Club Dead in one sitting if only I did not start it so late in the evening. I have definately not been able to read Dead to the world in one sitting, I can't seem to get fully in the zone with it. :tong:

I think I read the Sookie books all within a week :tong: I read them far too fast but just couldn't stop myself. It was the same with the House of Night books (although they get a bit repetitive).

CRIKEY!!!!!!!!! I don't think I could do that. I like the series, but I am not mad on it. But I have three from the library and they all have to go back by the 9th!!! So I think I will be reading them fairly soon :exc:

I think I read the Sookie books all within a week :D I read them far too fast but just couldn't stop myself. It was the same with the House of Night books (although they get a bit repetitive).

Omg, the House of Night books are amazing! I borrow the sixth off my friend on Moday, gave it her back the next day! I love those books...

x

• 2 months later...

Sure. I've read several books in one sitting. Give me a day off, a not too difficult book that I'm enjoying and that's not over say, 400 pages long. Then I might finish it in one sitting, if I don't have to do a lot else that day. I finished a lot of Laurell Hamilton's books that way, they're easy reading. Several Harry Potter books too, the last book took me two sittings, 8 hours, so could have been done in one actually, but I took some time to sleep. :lol:

But yeah, am a fast reader so I can do this.. but these days I have too much other stuff on my hands, school, work, and a lot of helping mom out around the house and taking care of dogs etc, so I don't have that much time to read. ;)

Loads of times.

I remember reading four Agatha Christie books at a stretch about nine years or so ago. I've read most Harry Potter books, post The Order Of The Phoenix, at a stretch. I've read Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveller's Wife in about three or so hours.

I read many short mysteries in one sitting. The longest one-sitting read was John Fowles The French Lieutenant's Woman, finishing at something like 5AM. And then there was a read-sleep-eat, read-sleep-eat weekend devouring The Brothers Karamazov.