Have you read a book in one sitting?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I did once it was Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, in nine hours. I have read many in two sittings as well all the HP,s were two sittings. Also Clive Cusslers Raise the Titanic and James Herberts The Fog,

I always read books in one sitting.

But I read really, really fast so they only take me up to five hours at the most!

:irked:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did this not so long ago, finished The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-Time within a few hours, all in one sitting, only paused to put the kettle on and make myself a coffee. It was so enjoyable I couldn't put it down. :)

I finish books in one sitting all the time. When I was in primary school I'd read about five in a day. One of the greatest moments in my reading life was discovering The Hobbit and taking two days to read it - had never happened before, I was so excited! Once I got into the later years of high school what with all the studying and also an after school job (at a library might I add!), it would take me a bit longer. Now as a 19 year old having taking a year off between finishing school and uni, I'm very pleased to find that I have the time again to read a book in a day.

Last 4 books I read in one sitting were Disgrace by JM Coetzee, Breath by Tim Winton, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick and The Children's Book by AS Byatt.

Last 4 books I read in one sitting were Disgrace by JM Coetzee, Breath by Tim Winton, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick and The Children's Book by AS Byatt.

Wow, I can maybe understand the first three (although I couldn't personally read them in one sitting), but The Children's Book is huge! How long did it take you?

Wow, I can maybe understand the first three (although I couldn't personally read them in one sitting), but The Children's Book is huge! How long did it take you?

Hmmm....a number of hours! Started sometime just before lunchtime and finished around midnight I'd say - with the odd break inbetween for food and water haha!

Edit: Thought I should add that I HUGELY enjoyed The Children's Book - if I hadn't loved it as much as I did, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bothered to let it take up so much of my day!

Thought I should add that I HUGELY enjoyed The Children's Book - if I hadn't loved it as much as I did, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bothered to let it take up so much of my day!

As I have this on Peak Wishlist, that's very good to know :welcome2:! What was so good about it (no spoilers please)?

In my carefree, misspent youth, I would have thought nothing of reading a book in one sitting, with my Mum telling me to get off my backside and do something useful.:welcome2:

Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to, I can't justify reading in one sitting as there is always something else that needs my attention. I never read so many books though as when I was off work for 2 months with a broken ankle - I could do nothing else but read - it was great:D

I never read so many books though as when I was off work for 2 months with a broken ankle - I could do nothing else but read - it was great
I second that - the week I was off school with a broken foot I pretty much went through every book in the house that I hadn't read already. Then, because there was nothing else left and boredom beckoned, I asked my sister to lend me those :welcome2: Harry Potters.

Let me just say I read books 1-3 in a day and book 4 in a single sitting the day after... :).

It's just a shame that after such a conversion, the eagerly awaited book 5 disappointed, and 6 and 7 more so :eek:!

There is one book I recall reading in one sitting, and that is Watership Down. I was 16 or 17 years old at the time, and a friend of mine was sleeping over. This was her copy of the book (I didn't have my own then), and while she lay there in the wee hours of the morn, oblivious to all but her dreams, my eyes devoured that book in about three to four hours. I had the nastiest headache afterwords, but it was a price well worth paying. :welcome2:

I never read so many books though as when I was off work for 2 months with a broken ankle - I could do nothing else but read - it was great:D

I second that - the week I was off school with a broken foot I pretty much went through every book in the house that I hadn't read already.

Is it bad that I sometimes wish I would break a limb so I could stay at home for a month or two and just read guilt-free? :welcome2: