Have you read a book in one sitting?

Not since I was 12, and I read 2 books that year in one sitting.

I don't have time now as an adult.

The books were "Are You There God It's Me Margaret" by Judy Blume and "Karen: A true story told by her mother" by Marie Killilea.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only books that I had read in one sitting are the Harry Potters which I always purchased on the day of release and The Twilight books. I only purchased Twilight because it was offer and I finished it one sitting. I had to go and buy New Moon the next day becuase I couldn't wait to find out what happens next! I finished all four books in 5 days. I would have finished them quicker, but work got in the way :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...

I read most 300 page books in one sitting. Since I still live at my parent's place and don't have a lot to do on a Saturday I crawl into the sofa and start reading.

Mostly I can't read in one sitting though. I lug around a book all week to read on the train to and fro work. By the end of the week it mostly is finished,exceptions on that rule are finished friday night in bed.

I don't think I've ever read a whole book in one sitting as I like to pour over every single word so I read relatively slowly.

I'm like that, although for me it's not a matter of choice - a degree and a half in literature and the far too many close reading exercises therein contained have made me unable to ignore words I don't know/words or sentences which mean two things if I can't decide upon which one applies/continuity errors. All books contain at least one instance of at least one of the above, which means that in all books I will reach an impasse that it will take me a ludicrous amount of time and willpower to overcome.

This annoys me for (as a child) I used to read, if not a book a day, at the very least three or four a week; there was this one famous time when during an oral test session in primary school I borrowed a book from my desk-mate (Emilio Salgari's "The Black Corsair", at least two/three hundred pages of mass market paperback) and returned it at the end of the lesson. He wouldn't trust that I had read it all so he actually quizzed me; obviously I passed.

Why can't I revert to that stage?!

I would say that definately counts roxi :D We can't have you dehydrating, even for a book!

I started a book this morning and finished it this evening, had a busy day too so I'm surprised I managed to read it all in one day! Don't think that counts though :)

I don't think I've ever read a whole book in one sitting as I like to pour over every single word so I read relatively slowly.

That's me to. I find sometimes if i haven't fully understood a passage i read it again. I don't like to read a book, and miss any of it. I will read it word for word, even if i can't wait for the chapter or section to end! I can't seemto help it.

I am with you, Ken. Well written books are such a treat and a pleasure. I will admit, however, that I've sat and read three books all in one sitting. Quick reads and thoroughly enjoyed them:

The Firm by Joh Grisham

The Shining by Stephen King

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was like that with each book I read while growing up. Couldn't rest before knowing what else was in the book. Nowadays I don't have that with each book anymore, perhaps because I read two or three books at the same time and when the other book is a bit more intriguing I dump the other and finish the more intriguing book first before I read the rest of the other book. It does take more time nowadays to finish some books, while I read other books in two or three days, depending on the number of pages.

But I have to mention, I have a lot of time to read. I can't find a job, so I'm home with just my children and though it's not nice financially, I do get more time to what I love most, read. I guess everything in life has a positive and negative side.

I've read a few books in one sitting - Harry Potter 6 and 7 comes to mind. More recently I've read most Matthew Reilly books in one go - they're action packed and so fast moving that I'm pretty sure I held my breath for most of it :D. I've also just read Brother Night in one go but that's only a small book.