No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

I've searched for a thread about this as I know quite a few of us were reading it, but there doesn't appear to be one so I thought I'd start the ball rolling. :lol:

No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

019-2008-Jul-30-NoTimeforGoodbye.jpg

The ‘Blurb’

The house was silent. No sound of her parents getting ready for work, or her brother late for school. Were they punishing her for last night? She’d been out on a date when she should have been studying, and had a huge fight with her father. So where was everyone now? Why had her family disappeared?

Twenty-five years later the mystery is no nearer to being solved and Cynthia is still haunted by unanswered questions. Were her family murdered? Abducted? If so, why was she spared? And if they’re alive, why did they abandon her?

Then a letter arrives, a letter which makes no sense. Soon Cynthia begins to realise that stirring up the past could be the worst mistake she has ever made…

I really enjoyed this book. Okay, so it’s slightly obvious about half-way through how the story is going to pan out but that didn’t spoil the enjoyment of it at all. It’s an easy read (which is most likely why Richard and Judy chose it as one of their Summer Reads). I found it quite hard to put down, which is always a good sign.

It seems to have divided opinions on Amazon, but for me it was a good and enjoyable read and I shall definitely look out for more of Barclay’s work.

The paperback is 437 pages long and is published by Orion. The ISBN number is 978-0752893686.

8/10

(Read July 2008)

I didn't get it Janet until nearly at the end!! I was completely foxed. I thoroughly enjoyed this and could not get my nose out of it! Subsequently passed to OH who is now also engrossed. I keep asking him where he is up to and then pull silent faces at him - we can't discuss it until he finishes. I put a reviw in the blog :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wasn't wowed by this. It read like a Harlan Coben, but not quite as good. What kept me going was wanting to know how/why the woman's family vanished on her.

The problem came when the Linwood begins the explanation (which I won't give here), at which point I 'got it' and ended up not bothering to finish the book.

And that, I realised, was the problem; it was only curiosity that got me 4/5 of the way through...once I knew the secret, the writing wasn't engaging enough to keep me along for the finale.

I read 'A Quiet Belief in Angels' directly after this book, and to be honest the quality of writing in that book, makes 'No Time' appear scruffy and shallow by comparison.

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading this book today. I enjoyed it!

There is an ongoing "What the hell is going on?" aspect to it that is compelling, and the pace allows this feeling to be maintained for quite a while.

I did get a feeling very early on though that ...

their co-workers and friends Pam and Rolly were involved with it all in

some way.

I was half right! :roll:

Edited by Chrissy

• 2 weeks later...
I found the book over rated and pretty much knew what the outcome would be quite early on. :blush:

Have to agree with you a little on this one, I wasn't as impressed with it as others on here seem to be, and I thought the ending was pretty obvious, although I was surprised by one or two things

(rolly being the biggest surprise!)

Not great literature but it was a terrific read. Just what the doctor ordered when there's a hurricane blowing, the power's out for two days and so all you can do is read by candlight.

That's a great way to describe a number of books I have enjoyed, but realised

were not literature!

PS did you read this one by candlelight with a hurricane blowing? :eek: