Snowflake

Funny books

Not much fiction makes me actually laugh, I find them generally more humourous than funny, but these did make me laugh:

The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde

The Nursery Crimes series by Jasper Fforde

The Vesuvius Club and The Devil In Amber by Mark Gatiss

Non-fiction tends to make me laugh more, and these have been the best for making me laugh out loud:

Are You Dave Gorman? by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace

All of Tony Hawks books

I tend to agree, I've never actually found a book that makes me laugh. I will try The Vesuvius Club and The Devil In Amber by Mark Gatiss

though.

thanks

mick

I wouldn't really call it dark, more satire, but Tom Sharpe's Blott on the Landscape, is very funny.

Thanks Cabrasopa, have ordered that as well from amazon. Will come off amazon now as I seem to have to order every book I look at on there. :blush:

Thanks Cabrasopa, have ordered that as well from amazon. Will come off amazon now as I seem to have to order every book I look at on there. :blush:

That seems to be a consequence of joining this forum - book consumption increases dramatically!

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk actually always makes me laugh. He writes in such an awesome way and his commentary on society and such is brilliant.

the Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging books have me laughing every time! :lol:

This question I asked is costing me a lot :lol:

Be worth it though to find a few funny books. Not had much luck with finding any before now. ;)

This question I asked is costing me a lot :lol:

Be worth it though to find a few funny books. Not had much luck with finding any before now. :)

Don't ask for recommendations unless you've just won the lottery ;) Most of us had only a few books on our TBR pile and now most of us have significantly more and then even more on a wishlist :17:

I only went on amazon to order one book :lol:

I ended up ordering six and placing three more on my wishlist ;)

Still, it's raining outside, that's my excuse :17:

These made me laugh:

The Jeeves and Wooster stories by P.G. Wodehouse

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler

Lolita by Vladimir Naboko

The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford

Love in a Cold Climate - Nancy Mitford

Rumpole of the Bailey mysteries by John Mortimer

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

The Far Side cartoons by Gary Larson

Hi all,

I know humour is very subjective but can anyone suggest a 'funny' book.

Preferably dark humour, but really any books that have made you giggle.

thanks

mick

Hi Mick,

Have you read any of the recommendations yet, if so, what did you think of them?

The last book I read that made me laugh out loud was "The Pickwick Papers" by Charles Dickens. I loved it and the characters and scrapes they got into were hilarious. The names of some of the characters made me laugh too.

I just started The Liar by Stephan Fry and am only about 20 pages in but have laughed a fair few times.

I love P. G. Wodehouse! :D I've got several of his books and re-read them often.

Two of my favorites, not mentioned so far, are James Thurber and E. B. White. Both are exceptionally hilarious!

Three men in a boat from Jerome K Jerome almost made my canoe sink.

The importance of being earnest is delicious. In the same vein : Alan Bennet and PG Wodehouse's stories.

As for a dark kind of humour, i truly recommend Journey to the end of the night from Louis-Ferdinand C

The Stephanie Plum series (One For the Money is the first book) is one of the funniest things I've ever read! They don't really fit in one genra, but if I had to fit them somewhere it would be in Comedy/Crime/Romance.

I started reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson on a plane which turned out to be a huge mistake as it is so funny you cannot help but laugh out loud. I hate to think what a number of passengers thought of the guy with the hankie stuffed in his mouth and tears running down his face. A seriously funny book.

I am currently reading Al Murray's (comedian) "Book of British Common Sense". It is funny and very witty. There are even lots of facts about Britain in it too, ones that I even never knew. There are jokes about the history and culture of Britain and other close countries too.

It's a clever and humourous book.