Funny books

Snowflake

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer kept causing me to burst out laughing, usually swiftly followed by a little sob. Very funny, very moving - ever noticed how a lot of humourous books are usually both those things? What's that old quote, comedy is just tragedy plus time?

I think I mentioned elsewhere (Reviews board) that Angela Carter's Wise Children is very chortlesome. Bawdy in the extreme!

I have just started reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close but just got sidetracked by a few other books!

• 1 year later...
How about The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle..Contains The Commitments, The Snapper, and The Van..alll three are connected stories that center around a lower middle class Dublin family..the language is awful, but that's part of the humor. You'll swear you know these people!

Fantastic books - def. laugh out loud, The Snapper is my personal favourite.

I can't think of a book that made me laugh out loud. But then I used to watch 'Tom and Jerry' stony faced according to my parents. :readingtwo:

You sour puss ;)

I have to say I am a bit like that - I dont usually find comedy books or films funny but would highly recommend either of the above if you want a laugh.

Books rarely make me laugh either...perhaps because I don't read 'comic' novels...but...Donleavy's 'A Fairy Tale of New York' had me guffawing years ago.

That and 'The 2nd Armada Book of Fun', which I've had since it was published in 1971. Sample:

Ist cannibal: I don't like my mother-in-law

2nd cannibal: Well just eat the chips

• 3 months later...

Depends what kind of thing you enjoy, but some books that made me laugh out loud were:

Forrest Gump, by Winston Groom (very different to the film, and I think the book polarised opinions, but I loved it)

Any of the 'Cat' books by Deric Longden (especially if you are a cat owner)

Round Ireland with a Fridge, by Tony Hawks

If you like a bit of crime thrown in with very dark humour,try Christopher Brookmyre. And also Ben Elton - I often laugh out loud reading his books!