Funny books

Snowflake

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I got funny looks reading Tony Hawkes 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' and 'Playing the Moldovans at Tennis'.

Agree with both of those, especially the first! Books by Terry Pratchett and Sue Townsend make me laugh out loud. :smile2:

I haven't read this one yet, but can't wait if it's funnier than Googlewhack Adventure!

I went to the live tour of Googlewhack and it was great, plus I got my copy of the book signed! That tattoo was so much worse in the flesh!

If you want to borrow 'Are you Dave Gorman?' just let me know (no ones wanted to borrow any of my books so far :smile2: )

After many moons and many reads of 'The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole',I still laugh out loud...

I also laughed out at 'Everything you know' by Zoe Heller...

:smile2:

I went to the live tour of Googlewhack and it was great, plus I got my copy of the book signed! That tattoo was so much worse in the flesh!

If you want to borrow 'Are you Dave Gorman?' just let me know (no ones wanted to borrow any of my books so far :smile2: )

Thanks alot Acesare. I have just got them out of the library.

'Down Under' by Bill Bryson. Anything by him is hilarious. I'm looking forward to reading his latest 'The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid'.

I'll have to look for that, I really like Bill Bryson:)

I laughed all through Gideon Defoe's Pirate books, too. I also think Douglas Adams and Tom Robbins are funny.

Ooh! It's ages since I read it, but yes, The Tin Men was hilarious.

It may not be to everyone's taste, but I found it hard to control my hysterics when reading Flann O'Brien's newspaper articles from the 30s and 40s that are collated in The Best Of Myles. And also At-Swim-Two-Birds by the same author, although that's slightly less "laugh out loud".

This year, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer kept causing me to burst out laughing, usually swiftly followed by a little sob. Very funny, very moving - ever noticed how a lot of humourous books are usually both those things? What's that old quote, comedy is just tragedy plus time?

I think I mentioned elsewhere (Reviews board) that Angela Carter's Wise Children is very chortlesome. Bawdy in the extreme!

'Dead Famous' by Ben Elton. A very funny yarn set in a 'Big Brother' type house. Made me laugh out loud. (Contains a fair bit of swearing, mind!)

Oh yeah! My dad had that as a present one Christmas, and I sat down and read it in about 3 hours. Compulsive stuff! The writing really seemed to reflect the 'trashiness' of it all.

Bill Bryson is always good for a belly laugh or two..specially on audio-the guy has such a droll delivery!

How about The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle..Contains The Commitments, The Snapper, and The Van..alll three are connected stories that center around a lower middle class Dublin family..the language is awful, but that's part of the humor. You'll swear you know these people!