Leading the Dance by Sarah Salway

Leading the Dance is a collection of short stories, bound together by the concept of secrets within everyday life. Sarah manges to write colourful characters, and fascinating tales, all presented within a few pages, something that I believe takes great writing skill.

Some of my personal highlights include a woman who has a portrait done of the contents of her fridge, which seems amusing, but deals with bulimia; a wife who secretly follows her husband

• 2 years later...

I've read both of Salway's novels, but this was the first of her short stories I'd tried, and I'm so glad I did. This collection looks at the things we hide in our heads and in our homes, and brings to life the extraordinary aspects to the lives and personalities of ordinary people. Each story reflects on how the thoughts and emotions of individuals are only briefly visible from the persona we project to the outside world. There are often hints and suggestions of mental health issues, and show how they might develop and still be hidden from the people around those affected, a common theme with her novels as well.

Salway's writing often draws you in and makes you feel comfortable with the characters only to then unsettle you as their story unfolds. One particularly discomforting story about a woman apparently suffering from agoraphobia, who finds a new lease of life after discovering the relationship between her husband and a neighbour.

A great pleasure to read, despite the often troubling nature, and a worthy addition to my short story journey.