Anita Shreve

Inanna

Fortune's Rocks is one of my favorite books of all time (thus far in my 26 years :yes: ), and I'm reading The Pilot's Wife right now.. enjoying it, but just taking me a while as I haven't had much time to read lately. This weekend's beach trip should allow me to finish it, I'd think.

And I have Testimony on my TBR list.

She's becoming an author I really enjoy so far.

• 3 weeks later...
and I'm reading The Pilot's Wife right now.. enjoying it,
That was the first Anita Sheve I read and loved it.

Had started Light on Snow a few days back...beautiful scene descriptions.
Note to self that I have this on my bookshelf to be read. My sis said it was a good book, so one of these days I will get around to it.

Has anyone read All He Ever Wanted? Is it an enjoyable read? I thought of reading that once I'm done reading my current books.

I read this. I got to the end of the book and thought "mmm. ok" I haven't read another of hers since. Maybe I started with the wrong book..

For me, reading Anita Shreve has been an up-and-down experience. I began with THE PILOT'S WIFE that I really enjoyed, possibly because I was once married to an airline pilot and could identify with the main character, and definitely because I became engrossed in the story and the writing. Then I tried FORTUNE'S ROCKS and, despite all the glowing reviews this one got, found I could not get into it. I tried, and failed, three times to finish it.

Then I had a go at THE WEDDING and managed to finish it, but was sorely disappointed. I didn't care enough about the characters and the writing itself, I thought, was a little sloppy.

Then I had a go at THE WEDDING and managed to finish it, but was sorely disappointed. I didn't care enough about the characters and the writing itself, I thought, was a little sloppy.

I think that might be the one book of hers I read, although if it was, the UK version is called A Wedding In December. It was a reading group book, and not something I would have chosen to read. The rest of the group had previously read The Pilot's Wife and loved it, but I hadn't read it, and based on my experience of A Wedding In December, I won't be inclined to read any more of her books. The only redeeming feature was the book within the book, which was quite interesting.

Body Surfing is an excellent read. I would highly recommend it. i have also read the Pilot's Wife but did not enjoy that as much

Oh I have that one on my shelf too....I really must try and read more of my own books :)

I think that might be the one book of hers I read, although if it was, the UK version is called A Wedding In December. It was a reading group book, and not something I would have chosen to read. The rest of the group had previously read The Pilot's Wife and loved it, but I hadn't read it, and based on my experience of A Wedding In December, I won't be inclined to read any more of her books. The only redeeming feature was the book within the book, which was quite interesting.

Yes, that story about the fire in Halifax during the First World War was engrossing. I loved that part of the story. I'd forgotten about it, Chesil ... thanks for reminding me. Made the book worth slogging through. Am now making a mental note to see if I can find books at my library about this fire.

• 1 month later...
Had started Light on Snow a few days back...beautiful scene descriptions.

Started this one famar and loving it. Thanks for the reminder that I had this one.

Body Surfing is an excellent read. I would highly recommend it.

This one could be close to being next on the TBR pile Joe.

8/6/09 ~ Just to say I finished Light on Snow and loved it, well worth a read. Simple story telling at its best.

Edited by Inver

• 1 year later...

I love Anita Shreve's books. Fortune's rocks is one of my favourite novels. I've read it at least 10 times. I love the style of writing too.

I've also read - Light on Snow

Strange fits of passion

Body Surfing

All he ever wanted

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have A Wedding In December but haven't read it. I also have some other one by her.

I am not AT ALL into chick lit/dramatic girly fiction/this sort of thing of ANY VARIETY, but there are two exceptions to that rule: Anna McPartlin's books and so far, Anita Shreve's Light On Snow. I thought it was great, for what it was.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello and greetings.

Two quickly read Anita Shreve books, recently - A CHANGE IN ALTITIUDE, and RESCUE. The Altitude novel, sees newlyweds, Margaret and Patrick agreeing to climb Mount Kenya. Difficult to place this novel in one specific genre. So, Suspense (certainly) excitment (yes) romance (yes) landscape description (yes)

RESCUE has a different theme, and a different feel to the writing. Here, Anita Shreve shows her skills in some crackling, and fast paced dialogue. Webster is a rooke in the Emergency Medical Rescue team. He treats a road victim, Sheila. And falls in love with her. Subquently turns out that Sheila is a alcoholic. It is a very keenly focused story of the lives of two people, that are being forced apart by Shelia's addiction. The novel ends with a one line of hope for the future.

I have read mnost of Anita Shreves books, suprising really, as my main genre is crime/mystery/suspense. Her books are alway VERY emotionally involving. A much gifted story teller.

Enjoy

Hello and greetings.

Two quickly read Anita Shreve books, recently - A CHANGE IN ALTITIUDE, and RESCUE.

I thought I had read all the Anita Shreve books to date - but it turns out that I have missed Rescue! I'm glad you posted about it, I have ordered it from Amazon.

I didn't enjoy a Change in Altitude quite as much as her other books, I think I prefer her writing when it's set in America; I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, though. :)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am reading Resistance at the moment. It is starting to get a bit predictable I am afraid.

Resistance wasn't one of my favourites; I can't remember much about it except that!