The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I read this book whilst on holiday last September. I had really enjoyed The House At Riverton so had high hopes for this one, and I wasn't disappointed. I loved the different time frames and felt that each was so distinct that I didn't get confused which was a bonus! :lol: I agree with the previous comment that it is a bit like The Thirteenth Tale, which I also enjoyed. The author does tend to write quite long novels, so if you are after a quick read then it is not ideal, but for a lazy week on the beach it's fantastic.

xxSparklexx :D

• 4 months later...

Finished The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. Hefty tome, but well worth the exercise to your wrists.

Brief summary from Amazon:

In 1913, a little girl arrives in Brisbane, Australia, and is taken in by a dock master and his wife. She doesn’t know her name, and the only clue to her identity is a book of fairy tales tucked inside a white suitcase. When the girl, called Nell, grows up, she starts to piece together bits of her story, but just as she’s on the verge of going to England to trace the mystery to its source, her granddaughter, Cassandra, is left in her care. When Nell dies, Cassandra finds herself the owner of a cottage in Cornwall, and makes the journey to England to finally solve the puzzle of Nell’s origins. Shifting back and forth over a span of nearly 100 years (primarily 1913, 1976 and 2005), this is a sprawling, old-fashioned novel, as well-cushioned as a Victorian country house, replete with family secrets, stories-within-stories, even a maze and a Dickensian rag-and-bone shop and a witch of a mother.

I really enjoyed this book. Most of the characters are crisp, funny, flawed and well-developed. For some reason, however, one of the main characters (Cas) I thought lacked substance, a little bit of a back-bone (and brain), but you still like her. Morton’s description of places and landscape are also very good. I love Cornwall, so Morton’s portrayal of its rawness and brilliance was a treat. The mystery of Nell beginnings develops with some twists and turns which keep you curious and expectant. I figured it out, but then I did not, but then I think I did? The story flips back and forth among the time periods, and although a bit disruptive, I think it really works towards the denouement of the novel. The story is also interspersed with several fairy tales which in the end you learn how important they are. Unique technique.

I give it a 9 of 10 and recommend it.

• 8 months later...

the-forgotten-garden.jpg

Waterstones Synopsis:

A lost child: On the eve of the First World War, a little girl is found abandoned on a ship to Australia. A mysterious woman called the Authoress had promised to look after her - but has disappeared without a trace. A terrible secret: On the night of her twenty-first birthday, Nell Andrews learns a secret that will change her life forever. Decades later, she embarks upon a search for the truth that leads her to the windswept Cornish coast and the strange and beautiful Blackhurst Manor, once owned by the aristocratic Mountrachet family.A mysterious inheritance: On Nell's death, her granddaughter, Cassandra, comes into an unexpected inheritance. Cliff Cottage and its forgotten garden are notorious amongst the Cornish locals for the secrets they hold - secrets about the doomed Mountrachet family and their ward Eliza Makepeace, a writer of dark Victorian fairytales. It is here that Cassandra will finally uncover the truth about the family, and solve the century-old mystery of a little girl lost.

This is a large book - over 600 pages, and to be honest, I was daunted by the size of it. However, I shouldn't have been. The story flew off the page and the book read very quickly. There was adventure, life changing events, fear and destruction. There was also friendship, love and great fairytales.

There is not one main character in the book. The book spans a century and we get to know Nell, Cassandra and the Mountrachet family members well. The book does jump between time eras and events but it follows a stream of consciousness - by that I mean that when Nell or Cassandra discovers something about the past we then jump back in time and read what actually occurred. It is through this that we learn so much about the individuals featured in the book. I didn't struggle with the time changes at all. As long as you note the year at the beginning of the chapter you are fine and it is easy to follow and keep up.

I loved the storyline. I loved how it was written so you kept discovering new things, and I enjoyed reading about London at the beginning of the 20th century, and how the upper classes lived. This is a historical novel, and I don't think it was badly or inaccurately written. Nothing notably wrong jumped out at me; and reading the acknowledgements at the end suggests that Morton did research this well.

I found this book gripping and a great read. Once I got past the size of the book I loved it and only have praise for it. I have loaned my copy to my Mum I enjoyed it so much and she too is currently enjoying it. Morton is a gripping writer. She wrote characters I liked, set the scene wonderfully and wrote a story I was interested in and wanted to know what happened. I can only give this the top rating. A superb book.

5/5

Fantastic read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it to anyone

I have to thank you Angel - when you told me how good this was I just had to take it off my shelf, and I'm so glad I did :D

I loved this book and am usually put off when a book jumps backwards and forwards to different time periods. I enjoyed the way the story built right up to the end. This is better than The House At Riverton and that was pretty good too. Both are worth a read.

I feel blue. :D

I LOVE the sound of this book.. LOVED her first book.. but have now tried this book twice and just keep getting stuck. I think it has something to do with the swapping of the perspectives and that making it a tough 'pick up, put down' book maybe? I so wish I could do it.. but I just couldn't make myself go on after getting stuck around the same spot (about 120 pages) twice.

*heavy sigh*

... Maybe I'll give it one more go in a couple of years when I have a really large span of time to read.. maybe on a super long flight or something.

Glad most of you enjoyed it!