What am I going to do with my books?

I have lots of books. They've been in storage for 2 years. I've not missed them. Now they're cluttering the shed.

What should I do with them?

They're not in great condition - some have been swimming in the bath, or in the sauna, or have been dragged under taxis in my bike pannier. The spines are generally mangled.

Some are great - Evelyn Waugh, Tom Wolfe, Michael Chabon, Philip Marlowe, all of the Philip Dick short stories.

Some are utter rubbish, though - particularly The Book Of Memories by Michael Chabon

Is it worth my time and money selling them? I don't think so.

Can I give books in such rough condition to charity shops? Probably not worth their while.

At the moment I'm inclined to give them away if anyone who might be interested in reading a miscellaneous bunch of things is happy to drive to SW London and pick up 3 large boxes of books and not pick-and-choose and just carry them away. (You might also get a Scalextric thrown in, as it's something else that I don't want and is just cluttering).

What do you all think?

I suppose I could just keep them in the shed, but that seems like a waste for all kinds of reasons.

I'd release them into the wild

Every time you go out, take one or two with you and just leave them somewhere to be found

I quite like this idea. Just leave them on the tube with a "please take this book" post-it note, saying "I thought it was rubbish, but you might like it", or "everyone should read this. it's bloody great"

Seriously, quite a lot of the books are in perfectly good condition. None are in great condition because I'm completely apathetic about preserving them. And if any of you wants to pick up a large and random box of books and happens to be in London with a car, you're welcome to them.

I quite like this idea. Just leave them on the tube with a "please take this book" post-it note, saying "I thought it was rubbish, but you might like it", or "everyone should read this. it's bloody great"

Seriously, quite a lot of the books are in perfectly good condition. None are in great condition because I'm completely apathetic about preserving them. And if any of you wants to pick up a large and random box of books and happens to be in London with a car, you're welcome to them.

I love this idea. you should also have a website or email address or something for people to let you know they found the book/what they thought and you could encourage them to do the same once they are done with it! (always has to be a website involved somehow with me right?)