Clive Barker

Michelle

What are your experiences of this author? Likes or dislikes?

Having read Weaveworld in the past, and enjoying it, I've been meaning to look out for more. I now have The Hellbound Heart heading my way, and have requested Imajica on 'read it swap it'

What else would you recommend?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I started Weaveworld yesterday and am enjoying it so far. :reading:

I've read The Hellbound Heart, Michelle, it's the novella that was made into the Hellraiser films and it's quite a thin book, it was ok though !

After WW I plan on reading The Great and Secret Show, followed by Everville.

Cabal is a good book, one of my faves, it was made into a film a few years ago called Nightbreed.

Clive Barker rocks !

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I was a big fan of Barker's years ago and of all his novels, Weaveworld is the only one I've failed to finish...after two attempts. It just doesn't work for me.

The first I read was Imajica, which is epic in scope. Although the novel I'd recommend is Sacrament; it's one of his few standalone novels and its themes are wonderfully done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hammy, you should try and read Weaveworld. It's many years since I read it, but it was very good. I've also read The Thief of Always, and have Abarat on my TBR pile.

• 3 months later...

I think I have found my home in this post! I love Clive Barker, have been a fan since I read Weaveworld when I was 15 years old and I am 33 years old now, so its been a long time and I still love the book, I re-read it every so often.

I have read the following books of Clive Barker:

The Damnation Game

The Hellbound Heart (which was made into the film, 'Hellraiser')

Weaveworld

Cabal (which was made into the film, 'Nightbreed')

The Great and Secret Show (The First book of the Art)

The Thief of Always

Everville (The Second book of the Art)

Sacrament

Galilee

Abarat (the first book of the Abarat Quintet)

Abarat - Days of Magic, Nights of War

Collections:

The Books of Blood

Illustrated Books:

The Yattering and Jack

The Life of Death (which had the story, 'Revelations' in it)

Comics:

Saint Sinner, Issue 1 and 2

(there was 7 issues made of this comic before being discontinued unfortunately)

:friends0:

• 2 weeks later...

It's sometimes hard to pigeon hole Barkers writing style, so much is fantasy, dark fantasy and horror.

If you are a horror fan, the "books of blood" are a must, a collection of truly spine chilling short stories.

Fantasy, as has been already said - Weaveworld - absolutely awesome.

Dark Fantasy - The Great and Secret Show is a real epic of this genre

All his books are somewhat dark, but one of my favorites has to be "the thief of always" as a great introduction to Barker as it's pretty short compared with many of his others and as the "Great Grey Beast of February" is upon us a very seasonal read.

Hi the bookgarden, welcome if I have not said it already...

It is difficult to pigeon hole Clive Barker, which makes him such a great author,

I love The Books of Blood, so many great stories..

I adore 'The Thief of Always', such a great tale.

:D

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Books of Blood is a great read. Very diverse and interesting stories within. Especially look out for The Midnight Meat Train, Pig Blood Blues and Son of Celluloid which was very strange. I think his style is certainly unique and he has a lot of respect in the genre. I would like to try out his novels, so if anyone has any suggestions i would be interested.

Books of Blood is a great read. Very diverse and interesting stories within. Especially look out for The Midnight Meat Train, Pig Blood Blues and Son of Celluloid which was very strange. I think his style is certainly unique and he has a lot of respect in the genre. I would like to try out his novels, so if anyone has any suggestions i would be interested.

Hi Rawr, 'The Great and Secret Show' I think is one of Clive Barker's best, next to 'Weaveworld', brilliant story, great characters (one of my favourite characters, Harry D'Amour apears in the book briefly) but he is the main character in the sequel to 'The Great and Secret Show', 'Everville' :irked:

The Great & Secret Show ~ Click here

Everville ~ Click here

Galilee ~ Click here

Oh wow thanks Weave :lol: I shall check them out for sure! :D

You are welcome, if you get the chance, the graphic novels of his books are great to read too :D

If anyone is interested in the graphic novels based on Barker's work, I suggest that The Yattering And Jack is a good place to start. It isn't a violent tale, so people of a nervous disposition shouldn't be put off reading it, the "hero" is funny and interesting, the artwork is superb, and it can usually be picked up for about