Clive Barker

Michelle

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Hellbound Heart, had to read that one after I re-watched all Hellraiser films and loved them.. ehh most of them. Some are, well.. bad. :friends0:

I read Abarat, liked it but not enough to start reading the second book. Oh and I read the Thief of Always, actually I own that one, but it's been so long I barely remember. Might re-read soon, is a thin book so I'll finish it quickly.

Books of Blood and Imajica are on my to-be-read list. As are too many other books. :(

Books of Blood, as i said, is great :friends0: I enjoyed The Yattering and Jack, was kinda funny :(

I agree Rawr, the Yattering was hilarious

with numerous failed attempts

:D

LOL i almost forgot that bit. He does come up with some strange ideas in that collection!

Very much so, you know I still think about the story of the boys's school and the pigs!:friends0:

Yes, that is one which stuck with me. Midnight Meat Train is very good. I loved the character, his dialogue just struck me as funny a couple of times. The twist is very good too. But the pig one was very well done and unravelled.

Yes, that is one which stuck with me. Midnight Meat Train is very good. I loved the character, his dialogue just struck me as funny a couple of times. The twist is very good too. But the pig one was very well done and unravelled.

The Midnight Meat Train was excellent, I liked the idea of this whole secret world :friends0:and the actual 'Book of Blood' story as well was well written, don't mess with spirits.

I just remembered the name of the story ~ Pig Blood Blues

:(

Yes, that whole concept is a very interesting one within literature, you can do a lot with it. I think there was potential for a larger story there.

Pig Blood Blues, i remember it now :friends0: It was a good setting for that idea.

I also liked the one with the statue thing, that was rather weird!

Yes, that whole concept is a very interesting one within literature, you can do a lot with it. I think there was potential for a larger story there.

Pig Blood Blues, i remember it now :friends0: It was a good setting for that idea.

I also liked the one with the statue thing, that was rather weird!

Very :(

• 3 months later...

I've scanned over most of the previous threads and not noticed one on Clive Barker. I'm nearly finnished his novel Coldheart canyon and am enjoying it. I've read several of his books, Imajica,Weaveworld,the Books of blood and Nightbreed to mention a few. I love the way he can give you almost a whole universe in a few chapters giving you just enough detail to let you paint your own picture. His books can sometimes be a bit close to the bone but that only adds to the atmosphere IMHO. Barker along with Gaiman are probably my favourite British Horror writers although I think the term Horror does them both a injustice. Just wondering what every body elses thoughts are?:lurker:

Clive Barker is one of my favourite authors; Weaveworld was the first book of his that I read, and it is one of my all-time favourite books. I enjoy both fantasy and horror, and very much enjoy the mix of both in his books.

I have also read Imajica, The Damnation Game, Galilee, Coldheart Canyon, The Great and Secret Show (another favourite), and The Books of Blood. I have bought The Thief of Always, but haven't read it yet, I'm not sure why.

So I still have some to look forward to!

• 2 weeks later...
To me, it's that edge of perversion in his imaginings which defines his writing. I have enjoyed everything of his I have read to date.

I agree whole heartedly just that some more puretanical people might be offended.:irked:

• 3 weeks later...

You know I have never read more from CB than "Hellbound Heart".. and that just because I loved the first few Hellraiser films, not cause they're that good, but because pain as pleasure intrigues me. Always has. Though honestly, in this book, and the films, that's taken a little far as to a point where it scares me. :D

But I liked the book, more moderate than the film, or maybe that's cause seeing it is different than reading it. :irked:

• 3 weeks later...

I can't recommend Clive Barker enough to anyone with an interest in fantasy, horror, or the landscape in between, particularly those seeking real flights of imaginative fiction.

I've read everything to date, and for me the best of the bunch fall into two categories, depending on which genre you are drawn to.

Clive's earlier works were pure horror, so if that's your bag you'd do well to hunt down The Books Of Blood, The Hellbound Heart and The Damnation Game.

His later novels introduced substantial elements of fantasy, and were dubbed 'Dark Fantasy'. In these you'll find his more epic works such as Weaveworld, The Great And Secret Show, Everville and Imagica.

He's also penned some novels aimed at younger age-groups, but aside from The Thief Of Always, I can't recommend any.

He's also penned some novels aimed at younger age-groups, but aside from The Thief Of Always, I can't recommend any.
So bizarre - I thought I could be of some help here as I distinctly remember reading Clive Barker YA novels by the handful when I was smaller, but I can't find anything I recognise on his official bibliography, which doesn't seem to include a young persons' section at all... I'm sure I haven't imagined them, but why does no one (including Barker himself on his own website) list them?!

It's certainly strange, Bookjumper.

On Amazon, The Thief Of Always is quoted as being Clive's only children's novel.

I also checked wikipedia but again there's nothing listed.

One for Scooby and the gang, me thinks.

• 1 year later...

Same here. I've read The Hellbound Heart and the first volume of Books of Blood, definitely want to read some more.

Hmmm, Weaveworld is £3.99 for Kindle ...

Edited by Karsa Orlong