Fay Weldon

Icecream

I just noticed on BBC Breakfast news that Fay Weldon's book Puffball has been made into a film. It looked an interesting book from bits that they showed, so I was wondering what other people thought of her books. I know H&D said she has read some of them. Are they as interesting as they sound? What genre do they fit into?

My mum is a big Fay Weldon fan. I'm not sure if I've read any of hers myself, just trying to think. I remember Life and Loves of a She Devil being made into a TV series, and I found it weird :D

I may giver her a try at some point. I'll have to get some recommendations from my mum.

Yes you are right Emma - I have read a lot of Fay Weldon including Puffball. I read them during what I call my 'feminist' era in the 80's, Marilyn French and lots of Virago women's literature etc. I can hardly remember individual books but her work is quirky, darkly humorous and anti men :D at times. I will look forward to the dramatisation.

I too read Fay Weldon in the 80s/90s - my favourite was The Hearts and Lives of Men which stuck in my mind as a really good read. I've read others but can't now remember individual titles but I did see the She-Devil dramatisation and thought it was excellent.

Another writer I enjoyed at the same time (also feminist) was Zoe Fairbairns (particular favourites Stand We At Last and Daddy's Girls)

My favourite was The cloning of Joanna May, I must add DO NOT read any Fay Weldon if your partner is currently in your bad books. You might find his imperfections magnified a hundred fold!

Lol - I do remember one occasion when OH upset me big time and I plotted revenge with The She Devil in mind!!!:lol:

Footnote - only plotted, never carried anything out - I'm not psychotic!

My favourite was The cloning of Joanna May, I must add DO NOT read any Fay Weldon if your partner is currently in your bad books. You might find his imperfections magnified a hundred fold!

lol Wicci you are so right :lol:, FW has a penchant for hitting the spot there - what is the opposite of mysogynist? :lol:

Yes you are right Emma - I have read a lot of Fay Weldon including Puffball. I read them during what I call my 'feminist' era in the 80's, Marilyn French and lots of Virago women's literature etc. I can hardly remember individual books but her work is quirky, darkly humorous and anti men :lol: at times. I will look forward to the dramatisation.

It sounds like my mother in law would like them, but she is very into feminism and may have read them already. I shall have to ask her.

I had gathered that from H&D's post. I may give one a go at some point. I am willing to bet that my mother in law has one.

I read ...She Devil at college and enjoyed it, but I haven't read any of her other books. I also enjoyed the TV dramatisation (I vaguely remember Dennis Waterman, Julie T Wallace and a lighthouse being in it!), which I saw many years before I read the novel, so of course when I did I imagined the characters looking like Waterman etc. :lol: