What magazines do you read?

~Andrea~

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm clearly a minority here... I love magazines. I read Elle and Vogue regularly, Elle (Fr) occasionally, InStyle most months, Elle Decor, some other decorating magazines more infrequently, two knitting (the other one has sewing too) magazines regularly... Other than that, depending on my mood... I hate gossip magazines with passion, though.

• 3 years later...

During my teenage years and early twenties, I used to buy loads of magazines, mostly music, film and home magazines but I've got to the stage now where all I buy is the Radio Times to see what's on the television, and even then I don't read actually read it!

• 8 months later...

Does anyone here ever read magazines?

I wish there was a magazine available about books, but there aren't any available in my area. The US has a few. I do believe the Kindle has options to subscribe to some US ones but I don't know if I'd like them tbh. With a paper magazine I can see what's in it and flick through it. It'd be great if we could just bundle up all your book reviews of a while and that'd be a magazine (along with some feature articles) XD, I'd totally read that!

I've read in the past:

Donald Duck Magazine (NL, amazing!)

Tina (NL, for young teenage girls only really, though I liked the comics in it)

Fancy (NL, slightly older teenage girls, fun articles)

(PC)Gameplay (NL, Dutch magazine on gaming)

GamesTM (UK gaming magazine)

Edge (Uk, nice but too strict, prefer GamesTM)

Nintendo Magazine (UK, Nintendo only)

NGamer (UK, again Nintendo only)

and a few other gaming magazines from the UK (don't remember names atm), one gaming magazine from the Netherlands (I didn't like it), various computer magazines (NL), and just recently one magazine about Android (NL).

What kind of magazines do you read / have you read?

Recently I don't buy many magazines any more, there aren't a lot that interest me. If you know of a magazine that's about books, that you like, that I could buy here (Netherlands; either home delivery, in a shop (not that I know of) or online), let me know.

P.S. Yes I realise that technically Donald Duck is a comic, I do consider it a magazine since it came to my door weekly and in the book shop it's near all the other (kids) magazines (the book shop doesn't have many 'adult' comics in it (ie. Batman)). I would love to try a superhero comic one day.

P.P.S. In the end I much prefer to read books over magazines (value for money is often better and the story in a book is longer, unless you read short stories), however I find reading a magazine every once in a while can be very nice (especially when you have less time, so you can read a few articles and then stop).

Edge (Uk, nice but too strict)

:lol:  That made me laugh, I know what you mean :smile:

I pretty much stopped buying magazines a couple of years ago, unless there's something I must have (like the Classic Rock special that was the only way of getting Rush's 'Clockwork Angels' cd when it first came out last year).  I used to spend about £20 a month on magazines, it was too much.

I've haven't been a regular purchaser of magazines for some years now. Back in the day, it was pretty much the only way of keeping up to date with the latest news if you had an interest that was not completely mainstream. So, I used to get at various stages of my life, 2000ad (a UK sci-fi comic), The Eagle (The late 80's relaunch, I'm not THAT old!), Kerrang (Heavy Metal mag) and various astronomy mags. I think the internet has probably taken a lot of the market away from these niche magazine markets. Having said that, if it was a subject of interest to me, I'd still be pleased to receive a gift subscription. I think they make good presents.

The main downside of mags is the number of adverts you can get in them. I realsie that this is how they make their money, but some appear to consist of 75% advertisments these days.

I used to read Starburst which is sci-fi/horror/fantasy magazine for all mediums. but I don't really have enough time or money any more. It is good though, great reviews and news of books, films and games. I still use their website occasionally.

I hardly ever read magazines now.  I used to subscribe to Time and Newsweek magazine, (yes, I am a reformed news junkie) and The New Yorker, but half the time they ended up being stacked somewhere, unread. I'd subscribed to TNY on account of the short stories and cartoons honestly.  :)  McCalls and Ladies Home Journal  were on my list too at one time.

Now we are subscribed to Poetry, a small monthly magazine featuring new poets and poetry contests.  I get Paris Review as well.  But they are beginning to stack.  /grrr/ :)

Then there is Star Trek.  Occasionally they will have something that interests me...from the original series.

While books of all shapes and colour forever hold sway in my world, I do like the pick up and put down, delve in and delve back out attributes of a magazine in hard copy. I smiled when I read of the stack building dangers of just one subscription too many Pontalba. The key for me was to manage my subscriptions and somehow I did that.

At the moment my hard copy subscriptions are limited to The Economist (Work subscription), The Moth Magazine, The Stinging Fly, (both of which are quarterly and neither having anything to do with the world of entomology! :)) , The Scottish Mountaineer and History Ireland. Did I actually use the work limited? I am pretty sure now that the only thing missing from my listing is that Donald Duck magazine you mention Athena! :)

The business model the magazine industry has changed rapidly these last few years and left some old long established names high on the sandbar. Good or bad? A case can be made for both.

By the way I think I want to try a superhero comic now too!

^ I bet you read the Strictly articles!

Looking back through this thread, I no longer read SFX (it got dull and boring and I stopped when I realised I was only buying it out of habit), but I do still buy ImagineFX every month. There are other magazines I buy occasionally; Doctor Who Monthly, New Scientist; Time, National Geographic and The Writer, but it's only when I see an interesting article I want to read.