Book Related Careers

I've never been interested in as much of a career in books.. But more of having a library in my house when I'm older. Somewere I can sit and curl up with a great book and maybe even start a collection. Obviously this would cost a lot of money and I'm to young to be thinking about that at the moment. Nevertheless, we have got to have our dreams. ;)

A library room for myself would be perfect. For now I'm just drawing my own bookshelves - and I've had two of those built. But I sometimes think it would be nice working with books.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine had a temporary Christmas job at Waterstones and she said that in the staff room is a box full of books which have damaged covers.....the staff can take these books home for free! I applied after that but didn't even get a reply :friends0:

I'm thinking Town Planning is a more suitable career for me :razz: but I would've loved those free books!

I'd also love a library room Ben! It's definitely on my future home wish list.

From the moment I could read, I always wanted to be a writer. I wasn't sure about other jobs, my preference always changed about that, but about writing a book, I was always sure. That isn't going to happen though, but I do write stories for the pleasure of writing. :friends0:

You never know Sadya. I never thought I would ever write a book, but I did. You will probably never get rich from doing it (anyone who thinks that is definately in the wrong job!), but it is one of the best things I ever did. I have learnt an enormous amount from doing it and met some great people.

I would still like to work in a library or a book shop though ...

I agree, I would love to write a children's novel. However, it seems awfully hard to get published. Or once you get started...going somewhere great with it so that it does not end up like every other children's book out there.

I'd love to try and get a job at one of our local libraries - we have three, and one is haunted, so I think that would make for an interesting work experience :). But I'm pretty sure a degree is required for getting a library job...?

Writing is also something I'd love to do. I very much regret not persuing a career in either of these sooner. But I suppose at 18 I was too much of a rebel to even consider a career everyone else told me I'd be good at.

I'd love to try and get a job at one of our local libraries - we have three, and one is haunted, so I think that would make for an interesting work experience :). But I'm pretty sure a degree is required for getting a library job...?

Writing is also something I'd love to do. I very much regret not persuing a career in either of these sooner. But I suppose at 18 I was too much of a rebel to even consider a career everyone else told me I'd be good at.

Scarlette, you do need a degree to be an actual 'Librarian' but not just for a job in a library. I think to be a library assistant just a generally good level of education is okay, or possibly a City and Guilds qualification in Library and Information studies. It's worth contacting your local council and see if they have any openings for library assistants.

I have applied for loads of jobs as library assistants and am flummoxed as to what they want. I love books (the fact that I wrote one should prove that), I have good IT skills (no one writes by long hand these days), can talk to people, I work hard and am flexible. Have I heard back from any of these jobs? No !

It's never too late Scarlette :)

• 1 year later...

I think a lot of people have this secret desire of being an author because they think it is an easy job. Write a book and do nothing else.

I would love to be one just to have the satisfaction that people out there enjoy something I've created. Having my own bookstore would be a sweet job but with all the big chains out there don't know how I would keep it a float (the movie You've got Mail with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks always come to my mind).

Althoug with all the new distractions out there working on a campaign to promete reading books sounds like a really good option for a book-related job.

Hey guys! Been reading this forum for quite a while and finally plucked up the courage to start posting! :)

Anyway, after recently leaving uni with a History Degree, I've landed myself a job with the local council as a relief library assistant, there aren't any guaranteed hours but it's a step on the ladder, plus I've been informed that the reliefs in my area tend to get quite a bit of work. I'm so happy about this after being turned down for numerous library positions, just shows that if you persist then something will come your way eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! Been reading this forum for quite a while and finally plucked up the courage to start posting! :)

Anyway, after recently leaving uni with a History Degree, I've landed myself a job with the local council as a relief library assistant, there aren't any guaranteed hours but it's a step on the ladder, plus I've been informed that the reliefs in my area tend to get quite a bit of work. I'm so happy about this after being turned down for numerous library positions, just shows that if you persist then something will come your way eventually.

Sounds great! I am in a wonderful school where I am now in charge of the library woohoo! I am also literacy coordinator so books are strangely becoming more and more part of my life! I love sharing books with the children :) if I could do just that all day I would be very happy.

That's awesome kmacdon! I've realised how hard it is to get a job doing what you want to do recently, so be grateful! Haha :P I'm sure you are. I bet it's fuuuuuuuun!

Edited by Nienna

• 1 month later...

I would not mind working only as a literature teacher. I will be a language teacher after graduating University and that of course includes literature both in English and Swedish. But literature is far from being the only thing I'll ever do with my students. But I will include it alot, that is my plan. :smile2: