Book Related Careers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to own a book shop, but I'm afraid that as a shop owner, I'd be a bit like Aziraphale in Good Omens, complete with eratic opening hours and a reluctance to actually sel any of my books unless the buyers could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the books would be well cared for!

Like many others, I harbour a secret (or not so secret, actually) desire to be an author. One of these days I'll actually get a full-length novel out onto paper...

I also would LOVE to make a living from reviewing books - perhaps for a magazine or something. That would be pretty cool. :gl:

I don't think I could stand working in a library though - all those books coming back lookig worn and tired with page corners turned etc. It would make me fel quite sick to see it no a daily basis!

We are certainly similar in some ways - I now have No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay on my wishlist. :gl:

I'm not a teacher though ( I work in an office) and I know I wouldn't have the patience to be the type of teacher that I respect. I think some people are just born to teach and know how to gain the respect and interest of the children and I have the feeling that you are one of those.

#I have always wanted to work in a library, or have a bookshop. One with lot's of nooks ans crannies for hiding in etc (I ma just a child at heart).

I would also love to write a book one day. I am getting better at the writing thing, but I am still not very creative, so it may take a while to produce a book, and I keep changing my mind on the subject. Maybe I should just get writing. Where did that notebook go??:gl:

Since I was a child I fancied working in a library but ended up doing admin/secretarial work. However I still had my dream of library work and when I reached my 40's circumstances were right for me to make that change and so here I am and I'm happy.

If I had a book-related career, I would love to own a second-hand bookshop. I would have to be financially well-off before I started though, because I wouldn't anticipate making much of a profit. I'd want all the books for myself and drive the customers away a la Bernard in Black Books.

I'd sit around all day and read, and maybe write the book I've always wanted to. :gl:

I'm still considering entering the MLIS program at the University of Washington, which would allow me to become a licensed librarian (and make a lot of money), but graduate school is expensive. I've also toyed around with the idea of opening a second-hand bookstore, which is still a possibility. And, of course, the idea of making money from my book reviews is very attractive. :gl:

I've applied for a part time job as a librarian, I think that would be an awesome job!

I'm hoping to become a historical writer after my Masters - non-fiction though I think

I make my living as a full time author, but I would love to have been a commissioning editor - one of those who finds new authors. Then again it's a pipe dream. Editors have to be able to do so much more than be able to select the right manuscript off the slush pile!

A friend with whom I used to work when we were young shop assistants always dreamed of owning her own book shop - she was 18 then and still doing her A levels. Now she's realised her dream. Here's her bookshop url. http://www.thebookcase.co.uk/aboutus.html

Having a bookshop is a nice job. Perhaps with a coffee area as well, so people can come in and have a nice cup of coffee after they buy loads of books. Somewhere near the sea would be a nice location - the customers can rest their eyes and look into the horizon from time to time, and the sound of the sea would make an ideal background sound......;-))

If I had a book-related career, I would love to own a second-hand bookshop. I would have to be financially well-off before I started though, because I wouldn't anticipate making much of a profit. I'd want all the books for myself and drive the customers away a la Bernard in Black Books.

I'd sit around all day and read, and maybe write the book I've always wanted to. :006:

Another Black Book fan! :tong: I actually met a Bernard Black wannabee the other day. He has a second-hand bookstall on Cambridge market. He was actually shouting at browsers and telling them to leave if they weren't buying. Also, I heard him tell a customer off for putting a book back in the wrong place.

I make my living as a full time author, but I would love to have been a commissioning editor - one of those who finds new authors. Then again it's a pipe dream. Editors have to be able to do so much more than be able to select the right manuscript off the slush pile!

A friend with whom I used to work when we were young shop assistants always dreamed of owning her own book shop - she was 18 then and still doing her A levels. Now she's realised her dream. Here's her bookshop url. http://www.thebookcase.co.uk/aboutus.html

It's been my daughter's dream for years to have her own bookstore. She's currently 17 and choosing her uni at the moment. I'll tell her about your friend and her success at achieving her dream.

Edited by Echo
double post :-)

I've never been interested in as much of a career in books.. But more of having a library in my house when I'm older. Somewere I can sit and curl up with a great book and maybe even start a collection. Obviously this would cost a lot of money and I'm to young to be thinking about that at the moment. Nevertheless, we have got to have our dreams. :tong:

From an authors point of view, I would love to work in a book shop or a library or even as a a journalist. I did consider journalism as a career when I was at school, but did not have the confidence and couldn't get to grips with shorthand. Not many people use it these days though, and 25 years on, I am a lot more confident than I was at school!

I did see an ad for a trainee reporters job, which I may have considered had I been single, but it meant a 6 month residential course in Newcastle, at the other end of the country. I content myself then with being an amateur journalist, as Editor of my village newsletter.

There is a chance that the store I work in will be closing soon, so I am keeping an eye open for that book shop or library job !

I always fancied journalism or working on a magazine when I was at school but also didn't have the confidence to do it - I also wrote a lot of poetry and fiction when I was at junior and secondary school.

That's a shame Kell, do you think that's something that you would be interested in? :)

Yes, but I think it would be more of a hobby than a career for me. :D

I once interviewed to work on a magazine (a slimming one), just as a general office kind of position, but with the potential to play a part in the layout of articles eventually. In the end though, i decided that even if I was offered it, I wasn't so interested in that particular magazine (I read a couple of ussues of the mag and didn't think it all that hot). Instead, I took a different position elsewhere - and ended up in the job I'm currently doing, where I'm very happy.

I didn't get offered the mag job, but the woman who interviewed me said it had been a close thing, which was quite flattering.

Edited by Kell