Bookless!

I can't believe it. I have no books to read.

My budget (or lack of one) means that I can't buy, even second-hand. I haven't been able to get to the library, and I've just finished the last unread book I had in the house (Peter Kay's autobiography, incidentally).

I'm already having withdrawal symptoms and wondering what I can re-read to pass the time. I've even been through my newly delivered catalogue twice, just so I have some pages to turn...

Does anyone else ever get to this point, or do you always have a big TBR pile?

Ouch! Painful situation there, Blossom! I always have quite a large TBR pile (hence Mount TBR!) - it's currrently sitting at around 60 books.

Have you thought of joining a swap site like Book Mooch? you only pay postage on the books you send out and the books you get from Mooching are absolutely free - a nice way to top up your supplies of unread books while making space for them by getting shot of the old books you won't read again. :gl:

Did anyone else's heart skip a beat when they saw the word 'Bookless'? :gl:

At least you're not completely without books, Blossom. I suppose now would be a good time to re-read any that you've been wanting to re-read but haven't because of all the unread books you had!

I'd forgotten about them, Beef! Nice timely reminder. You get hundreds of free classics to download and read at your leisure (must get back onto them...).

Hi Blossom, it's almost unthinkable that someone would be totally bookless...luckily I've never been in that situation. It's a pity we don't live close by or you could have some from me, I'm sure there's one or two you'd fing suitable cos I've such a varied taste...Hope you've managed to find some form of print to keep you going!!!:gl:

Guest radjack

I completely understand you!

i don't have more books to read, i finishid yesterday my classic of the month, and i'm trying not to read more than 20 pages per day of the book thief.

I don't have any money for books this month, i already thought of giving up reading books:(

I joined bookmooch to see if i can get some books...

Edited by radjack

The one good thing about being a reader is that on wet days you always have something to do...Here in Ireland we are having the most miserable weather...it seems like constant rain although I'm sure there's sun shining at times...I also find it a useful hobby when I'm out shopping with my friends...some of which really do shop til they drop. As I get fed up with the whold fashion thing quite quickly I always find it handy to keep a book in my bag, thst way I can find myself a little corner and glide away into my bookworld until they are ready to move on. Roll on the holidays!!!!!:gl:

google project Gutenberg

I just looked at the website, can anyone help- when it says if you're not in USA check copyright laws what does this really mean? Is it sort of a given that it's ok to download them??

Also, (I'm not very good with computery things) what do all the different formats mean? Compression and Encoding??????

Other than that, what a good idea!!!

I think that the UK law is something like anything over 50 years old is out of copyright and therefore OK to download. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I'm sure if you google it you can find the info.:tong:

There's an FAQ on copyright here, and another one on different file formats here.

Personally, I don't worry too much about the copyright. If it's available on Gutenburg I download it - I don't go to the trouble of seeing if the same rules apply in Australia.

I'm don't have any money for books this month, i already thought of giving up reading books:(

Don't give up radjack! Do you have a local library that might carry books you like? Or maybe some friends that have books you could borrow? I'm sure you'll figure something out! :tong:

Guest radjack

No, i won't quit:blush:

I joined Bookmooch and i'll get some books from there.

that was just a stupid thought. I couldn't live without books:mrgreen:

I think that the UK law is something like anything over 50 years old is out of copyright and therefore OK to download. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I'm sure if you google it you can find the info.:tong:

Thanks Kell and Kylie, I just had a bit of a look about and according to http://www.cla.co.uk/copyright_information_aboutcopyright.php "Copyright protection in the UK generally lasts for 70 years following the death of the author."

I hope that is correct, don't want to misquote anyone, but I just thought I'd share that in case anyone else was wondering.....

Anna

I can't believe it. I have no books to read.

My budget (or lack of one) means that I can't buy, even second-hand. I haven't been able to get to the library, and I've just finished the last unread book I had in the house (Peter Kay's autobiography, incidentally).

I'm already having withdrawal symptoms and wondering what I can re-read to pass the time. I've even been through my newly delivered catalogue twice, just so I have some pages to turn...

Does anyone else ever get to this point, or do you always have a big TBR pile?

Bookless!? :tong: I'm hypervenitlating on your behalf! :006: I have to confess that I am the proud owner of a book shed that houses all my overflow TBR piles. I have no idea how many books are in it. Most are charity shop buys because I just can't resist a book bargain.

I love that people are so passionate about books on this site!

Due to my health, I can't always get to the library - for the same reason, I wouldn't be able to get to the post office, which is why I don't use bookrings or swap sites. Plus, my budget is so low that even postage is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h!

I've started re-reading things from my bookcase, and doing some online family tree research to occupy my mind. I've found that I have lots of Irish ancestry, so may read about Irish history online...

Blossom, that's really interesting. I've always wondered about researching some family history. Might just give it a look now. :tong:

And, Blossom. BOOKLESS! I don't think I could be bookless. Feel sorry for you. :006:

Edited by Ben

Downloading for non commerical usage in the UK is generally accepted as being alright , the best format to download the books in is .txt as everything can open .txt files.