Documentaries

beef

What was the last really good Docu you watched? i have seen quite a few this week, some serious some more humerous.

1. The King of Kong

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

Diehard video game fans compete to break World Records on classic arcade games.

This was to me really funny at times and quite interesting in others, it was funny to me because the current champion Billy is at times portrayed as a kind of moniacal evil guy with minions running around doing his bidding. And also how seriously they take it! like the man who wears weightlifting gloves while playing to avoid callouses.

2. Air Guitar Nation

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0799915/

This is just sheer hilarity! with unforgettable lines such as 'to err is human, to air guitar is divine' i went from amused, to scared by these people back to amused , if you can find this, watch it, and watch it now!

next on my list to watch it by the history channel and is called Life After people, it looks promising.

These are just 2 of the more amusing ones i have watched. I will post about the more educational ones when ive had some sleep.

What have YOU been watching?

I watched a documentary about Trek fans last night, called Trekkies.

It's a light-hearted look at the convention-going fans of one of the most influential sci-fi franchises in TV histoory. To be honest, I found some of the fans a little scary in their intensity, and there are tales of fans who really can't quite separate fiction from reality, but most of them come across as regular Joes who are just a little eccentric. The makers don't poke fun at the fans (mostly the fans do that themselves - LOL!) and it's entertaining enough for anyone who's ever had even the slightest interest in any of the Star Trek canon.

I like Britain's Worst Jobs In History (I think it's called that, it's where they look at the worst jobs from the Tudors, Georgians, etc:blush:), Blue Planet, Bill Oddie's Wild Side, Springwatch, and for my birthday I got Life In The Freezer, which I'm to yet get round to watching. Should be good!:gl:

I have been watching the series called Jews on BBC4. Judaism has always interested me since school as I was astonished by the rules and rituals of religious life. I have also worked as a District Nurse in a Stanmore/Edgware area becoming familar with the people and their customs etc. I read a lot of Isaac Bashevis Singer and Chaim Potok at the time and so this series has been very interesting for me.

I'm sorry I missed that, H&D. I got interested in Judaism when I worked for a construction company owned by three very devout Orthodox brothers, whose faith impinged on almost every aspect of the company's operations. (The bit about being out of the office an hour before sunset on Friday was particularly popular with staff, especially in December!). They even had a "house" rabbi to ensure the company stayed on the path of righteousness. Being one of the world's biggest agnostics, I found it fascinating to see how people could bring aspects of their faith into even the most mundane activities.

I'll watch out for it if it comes round again.

Well i watched the one about life after humans, i have to say it was very very interesting and it was the type of thing that could be depressing to a lot of people but they way its been done makes it more interesting than sad. I was particularly interested to find out they reckon once humans are gone cats will be one of the best off animals.

Well there's a surprise!!

I saw that documentary Beef and as you say it was very interesting. It illustrated what I believe about all these scares of global warming etc etc, its not Earth we are destroying, but ourselves. I have always believed that the Earth looks after itself and adjusts to changes. Humans are just a blip in the history of the Earth. Its possible that after we have destroyed ourselves everything will begin again.

We watched Tribal Wives on BBC 2 last night. A woman from Britain spent a month with the women of the Himba tribe in Namibia. It was really interesting, such a culture difference. She found it very difficult at times, not least because the tribal women were constantly laughing at her, but she had integrated well by the end of it. Very enjoyable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cgtkr

We watched Tribal Wives on BBC 2 last night. A woman from Britain spent a month with the women of the Himba tribe in Namibia. It was really interesting, such a culture difference. She found it very difficult at times, not least because the tribal women were constantly laughing at her, but she had integrated well by the end of it. Very enjoyable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cgtkr

Did you see the one last week, where she ended up married to a man in the tribe, who promised he would wait for her return, even though she made it clear she probably wouldn't return? It was a bit sad really

Did you see the one last week, where she ended up married to a man in the tribe, who promised he would wait for her return, even though she made it clear she probably wouldn't return? It was a bit sad really

Oh gosh, no I didn't. That does sound sad. Last night's was the first one I'd seen. Wish I'd seen more now.

• 5 years later...

I thought it would be nice to revive this topic. I love Documentaries based on History particularly about Art and the British monarchy. Two of some of my favorite Histrorians are Lucy Worsley and Alastair Sooke.

Edited by cuppycakes

I recently saw a part of the first disc of Planet Earth, a documentary about the life on our planet. I'd seen parts of this a while ago and really liked it. I don't watch documentaries that often, but it's nice to see one now and then (generally I prefer to read about things rather than hear about them, though for many subjects it's nice to have pictures or video to go with it).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cuppycakes,

there is a new historical docu starting next week with Lucy Worsley[ she is very eccentric and engaging] can't remember the title, sorry.I am watching Educating Yorkshire and also the docu on Harrow School [public school, which here in England means a top private school for 13-18 yr olds.]Also saw The Beatles Decade, which is interesting [i was a young teenager when the Beatles made She Loves You about 1963?] They came to my town in I think 1964 and I went with friends to see them

For those in the UK or able to access the BBC iPlayer outside the UK there is a new science documentary series called Science Britannica. It charts the journey of scientific discovery in Britain going back to Isaac Newton. The first 2 episodes are on the iPlayer at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I watch the Royal Institute Christmas lectures every year on TV but I was a bit unsure when they are on this year. During my search for this information (28th Dec, BBC4) I found that on their website they show some past lectures, including ones done by David Attenborough, Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins. I'm not too sure this is available to those outside the UK but here's the link.

http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures/watch

• 2 weeks later...