Buy or borrow?

Of the 66 books I've bought since December last year, 50 of those were brand new. That number really surprises me - I thought I bought many more books used rather than new. Although, of the 50 books, the vast majority were either bought new from a bookshop that does 'em cheap, or bought with discount vouchers. I highly doubt I bought any of them full-price.

I'll keep every single one of them when I'm done, unless it's a really terrible read and I can't bear to keep it around, which doesn't happen often.

Kylie - I haven't paid full price either for new books at all for a couple of years. That way I can treat myself to more - LOL!

Ooo I like the way you think :006::tong:

Out of curiosity how many books do readers on the forum buy new as opposed to second hand/swap/library?

What do you do when you've read a book? Keep it? Pass it on for free? sell it, or bin it?

If I see a book that really looks like it's worth reading, I'll always find some way of purchasing it. I swap a lot of books temporary with friends, but I never swap book permanently or bin them! I can't see books go like that. :006:

My pet hate is stickers on books - can't possibly read a book unless I remove it! :tong:

Same here! I absolutely hate it. Having to peel them of with so much precision. It's always ok when it comes of fine without doing anything to the book, but when it rips/scratches it, I get so annoyed. :)

Edited by Janet
Merged consecutive posts

I am exactly the same! I have to peel them off!

Me too (or is that me fifteen?!). I recently peeled a Waterstones one off a new book and it took some of the shiny top coat off the book with it. :tong: I was really careful too. You can't actually see it unless you hold the book to the light but that's not the point.

I think their labels must contain Superglue. :006:

Guest radjack
Me too (or is that me fifteen?!). I recently peeled a Waterstones one off a new book and it took some of the shiny top coat off the book with it. :tong: I was really careful too. You can't actually see it unless you hold the book to the light but that's not the point.

I think their labels must contain Superglue. :)

Me sixteen then!

I really hate those things!:006:

Amazon and Play.com on occasion for used or cheaper books. But I do love browsing in book shops (3for2 offers etc). Charity shops on occasions for a hunt if I am maybe looking for a book I have enjoyed to put on Bookcrossing or here for a bookring. I have tried on RISI but I never register enough books on there to swap with, or find books of interest to me on others lists.

I love the fun of joining bookrings/rays on Bookcrossing and BCF and swapping reviews and thoughts on books.

Kenny (my son on here) loves all this books stuff too as does hubby and our house is full of books, old and new, borrowed and bought.

A family full of book-lovers. I wish my family was like that.. It's sad to say that I think my room has nearly 95% of the total books in our house. :tong:

• 5 years later...

I buy the majority of my books brand new, or at least I certainly have done over the past couple of years. Occasionally I'll get a book from a charity shop, but for the most part I get most of them either from Amazon, Book Depository or the supermarket.  Previously I was a regular visitor to my local library and although I do still visit it, it's now only occasionally, where as before I was there pretty much every week getting new books out.  It's a shame because I miss visiting it and coming home with a massive pile of books.

As for whether I bin books, hell no, what a waste.  However, as a result things have gotten a little out of hand so I am going to be having a little bit of a clear out soon.  I can see a few trips to the charity shop in my future!  You know, there really should be some kind of help/support group for bookaholics!

I buy mostly new books. Mostly paperback because of economical reasons. But if none of the online bookstores have a specific book, I look at Bokbörsen. It's a Swedish e-bay kind of site but with books and magazines only. They usually have what I want. 

I have not borrowed a novel from the library in ages. What I usually borrow are books for my studies, as they are far more expensive than novels, and I usually only need a couple of chapters. 

I'm so lucky to have a great library just down the way, so my whole family is there quite a bit.  If I find a book I love and will want to read time and again, I'll definitely buy a copy.  I don't really go to used bookstores very often but love used book sales.  Does that make any sense?  

I responded to this post years ago, so things have changed a bit.  Now, I rarely buy new.  If I buy it is second hand, either at a used book store or thrift store. I adore a good treasure hunt!  I also use the library a lot more, but mostly eBooks instead of physical books.  At least I don't have to worry about the library's copy getting damaged or lost.

• 4 weeks later...

The majority of books I read I get from the library. I have access to around 20 libraries so I alternate between them, and there's plenty of choice. I'll buy new if I'm working away from home or if it's an author I really like, but I like the library as I can just pick up books at random and not worry I've wasted money if I don't like it.

I always prefer to buy books whenever I can. As an author myself I know the time, cost and effort that goes into writing books and so like to support authors financially so that they can continue to do this. After all, if I wouldn't work for free, then why should I expect someone else to? I know though that not everyone has the money to buy a lot of new books, and that it can get expensive - I read 90 books last year at an average cost of £5 each. The way I get around this then is by doing surveys on the Internet for which I get points which I then convert to Amazon vouchers. I usually get at least £15 a month. That way I am still supporting the authors, as the books are still being paid for, just not directly by me.