Alison Weir - The Lady Elizabeth

Angel

Synopsis

The story follows Elizabeth, daughter of Anne Boleyn from childhood until she inherits the throne of England. It explores how much Elizabeth struggled to survive and overcame many hurdles in her quest to claim her throne.

Reflection

I absolutely loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves historical fiction, particularly the Tudor era.

Alison Weir is famously known for being a historical researcher and writer. Her debut fictional novel, Innocent Traitor was a big success, and I feel that this book will rival that first one. Throughout, Weir explores each hurdle that Elizabeth had to overcome to gain her throne. Indeed she manages to capture the fear and frustration that Elizabeth must have felt. In fact in many places, the reader can almost feel the axe poised ready to fall.

The novel sees us introduced to her when she is just under 3 yrs of age as she is becoming aware of something is 'not right' with the eventual dawn of realisation that she will always be in danger. Weir portrays Elizabeth as a fiesty individual, who also becomes aware of her sexuality and this remains a strong thread throughout this book. Interestingly, Weir explores the possibility of what might have happened if Elizabeth had fallen with child - an oft discussed rumour that has persisted throughout history. Weir admits that there is no hard evidence for this.

The novel is easy to read and flows well - although Weir openly admits that she has modernised the language a little. This may have been to encourage more readers although it could be annoying to some - just a very minor point

Would highly recommend:)

The novel is easy to read and flows well - although Weir openly admits that she has modernised the language a little. This may have been to encourage more readers although it could be annoying to some - just a very minor point

Would highly recommend:)

I've never really read historical fiction and this is a pretty big reason why. When characters don't speak how they would have spoken in reality it ruins it for me and I find myself not believing in them at all, silly really but I can't help it. It does sound good though, I might have to get over that and give it a go....