Janet

What should I do  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What should I do

• Read it - it would be rude not to
    • Post it back with a note saying thanks, but I couldn't get into it
    • Other - please state!

I'm after some opinions!

About two years ago, my friend's Mum leant me a copy of Schindler's Arc by Thomas Keneally. She said she "knew I loved books and thought I'd enjoy it" - but I really don't fancy it.

The problem is, I don't want to offend her by returning it unread, especially as I've had it so long. I tried returning it about a year ago, saying that I didn't know whether I'd have time to read it, but she refused, saying she was in no hurry to have it back!

I just wondered whether anyone here has read it, and if so, do you think I should give it a go?

I've go so many other books on my 'to read' pile that I really don't know what to do!

Thanks. :)

How about read two chapters and see how you feel? If you like it carry on and if it doesn't immediately grab you return it. If you feel really bad you can always say someone gave you a copy to keep and so you are returning hers! That must be so difficult and I know what it is like so good luck!

Janet,

I've voted that you post it back, because in my view it is best to be honest rather than lying about it and if you haven't read it after two years, are you really likely to? But, like most people, I don't like to hurt someone's feelings so try to be tactful about it.

I don't see the problem with just giving it a try though, it certainly won't hurt you but you also have to think about what you want and just go for it. Do you tend to put things off a lot? It's better just to bite the bullet and take an action - any action!

I'manother on the "read a couple of chapters" approach. You might be pleasantly surprised. It's certainly one I've been meaning to read for a while and I know that I will get round to it one of these days. It took me several years to get round to watching the film as I knew it would be an emotional roller-coaster ride and wasn't sure I could face it, but I now rate it one of the best films I've seen in many years. From what i've heard, the book is WAY better!

I think it's worth trying a couple of chapters - you never know and at least if you don't like it then you've given it a go.

I've lent a friend of mine a book and wouldn't be offended if she gave it back saying she hadn't read it I had after all plucked it from my bookcase and handed it to her, so in some ways I've 'forced' my taste on her and have to respect that she may not like it as much as I did.

By all accounts it's a very good book. It's the basis of Schindler's List, but hasn't been Spielbergised. I'd recommend giving it a try and if it's insufferable garbage you can return it fairly with that response.

I loved it, can't remember it being difficult but would do the chapters option

I would send it back to her, with a note of thanks, but saying it wasn't really your thing. Otherwise, if you lie and say that you read the whole thing, she might ask you about it in the future. Um....awkward!! :)

I like the idea of reading a couple of chapters as well.

But then, if you really don't want to read it, there's no point forcing yourself to even start. If you're not looking forward to it to begin with, that might taint your view of it so you'll dislike it regardless.

In which case, you could just send it back saying 'thanks, but I couldn't get into it and I have a lot of other books waiting to be read, etc'. And it wouldn't be lying :)

Hi Janet, I would like suggest that you give Schindler's Arc a go, or at least a couple of chapters before putting it down.

Thomas Keneally is one of Australia's most highly regarded authors, and Schindler's Arc actually won the Booker Prize in 1982. I don't think it would be an easy read as the subject matter would be quite confronting.

I personally have not read Schindler's Arc, but it is a novel I would like to read sometime in the future.

I would send it back to her, with a note of thanks, but saying it wasn't really your thing. Otherwise, if you lie and say that you read the whole thing, she might ask you about it in the future. Um....awkward!! :)

I would never do that!

I read a few pages last night. It's an easy reading style, although I realise that the subject matter when it gets going will not be easy!

I've closed the poll now - I will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again. :)

Edited by Janet

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update...

I got to about 90/429 pages but I didn't really get into it. I'm sure it would have got better but I figure if it's taken me this long to read just over a fifth of it then I'm not really enjoying it - so I've given up. :tong:

Sorry I took so long to reply Janet

I read 'Schindler's Arc' years ago and it was pretty intense, it took me awhile to read it and once I had finished it, it was a good read but I don't think I will read it again.

Sorry for prattling on there....

You have given the book a good shot Janet, return the book, thank her kindly and say it just wasn't for you but it was ace that she thought of you.

:D