The Library Nook Classic Challenge

The Library Nook

What a great way to get me reading some more classics! Looking through all the books I have read recently and all the books on my LT account nearly everything is modern fiction. So my personal challenge for myself is to read a classic a month until December and then review. So each month I will choose from one of these authors.

William Shakespeare

Lewis Carroll

Joseph Conrad

Anton Chekhov

Jane Austen

Thomas Hardy

Books Read

July

August

September

October

November

December

Edited by The Library Nook

Guest radjack
I've been trying to read one classic each month. June's read was The Picture of Dorian Gray. It took me while to get into but after halfway I was hooked.

it's the only classic i've ever read (i've already said this in other topic), i love it.

I'm going to read the other tales of oscar wilde, if they are half as good as The picture of dorian grey i'm going to be very happy:mrgreen:

This is a great idea. A few years ago I bought loads of 'classics' in an attempt to become a bit more well read but now they are nicely lined up on my bookcase while I read modern books. I think I will try and read 1 per month too :)

Anna

I hope you both enjoy the classics you choose to read. I started a few years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done. There is a goldmine of terrific literature out there to be enjoyed. The stories are (I reckon) generally more brilliant than a lot of what is written nowadays, in large part because of the writing style, which I find more poetical. But of course, like anything, there are dud stories too :)

I love reading classics. I started several years ago and still feel like I am behind. I have a hard time answering those question "what's your all time favorite book?" because the more I read, the more I realize that there are tons of amazing books out there that I still haven't read.

Guest radjack
I think I will try and read 1 per month too :)

Anna

well i guess i will try it too.

What book will you read this month?

I think i'll read dracula (i was already going to read it anyway:lol:).

well i guess i will try it too.

What book will you read this month?

I think i'll read dracula (i was already going to read it anyway:lol:).

I think I'll go for Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe, I bought it the other day and was going to read it soon anyway!

Or maybe Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.... I always fancied that but I've never got round to it......

Anna

Guest radjack
I think I'll go for Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe, I bought it the other day and was going to read it soon anyway!

Or maybe Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.... I always fancied that but I've never got round to it......

Anna

I started reading The Happy Prince & Other Stories by Oscar wilde.

I bought it a few weeks ago and i still haven't read it, so this is going to be my classic this month.

descriptions (from amazon)

"This captivating collection contains all 9 of Wilde's charming, sensitive stories for young readers. Included are "The Happy Prince," "The Selfish Giant," "The Star-Child," "The Nightingale and the Rose," "The Birthday of the Infanta," "The Remarkable Rocket," "The Devoted Friend," "The Young King," and "The Fisherman and His Soul.""

"A pleasure seeking prince, a selfish giant, and more: Wilde's fairy tales, first published in 1888, for childlike people from eighteen to eighty."

"The Happy Prince is the tale of a young nobleman, who in life sought only pleasure but in death, as a gold-encrusted statue, provides aid to the needy. Also included are The Nightingale and the Rose, The Selfish Giant, The Devoted Friend, and The Remarkable Rocket. Newly designed and typeset in a modern 5.5-by-8.5-inch format by Waking Lion Press."

Guest radjack

I'm halfway trough the happy prince and other stories and i have to say: Although i really don't like reading two books at the same time (I still have a few pages (150) of The book thief to read) i'm really enjoying reading this short tales from oscar wilde.

Tonight i won't sleep until i finish the book thief, and tomorrow i will finish The happy prince.

(the picture of dorian grey is still better than the happy prince though :gl:)

Guest radjack

I finished The happy prince and other stories yesterday.

Although I liked all the stories (this books is nothing more than a collection of short stories) not a single one of them was better than the Picture of Dorian grey.

My mother just bought me Dracula by Bram Stoker, so i'm not bookless anymore:mrgreen:

I'm going to read it so that's one more classic to add to my "Classic Challenge" profile:D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest radjack

any ideas for this month classic?

I still haven't read dracula (i know, i should have already read it) so i was thinking of reading that one.

any other suggestions?

(lately i'm into horror books)

I finished reading Dracula not long ago. I enjoyed it, especially as it laid the basis for future vampire stories. I did however find Van Helsing rather long-winded and difficult to understand at times because of his broken English. Anyone else have that problem?

Guest radjack
Have you read Frankenstein - very good

yes I have already read it, i think i'm going to stick with dracula, I hope it entertains me.

• 1 month later...