Computer Help Thread

Nici

Ceinwenn, from what I can see, Spyware Guard can cause quite a few problems on your computer. The problem these days is actually finding somewhere reliable to ask for help, or get removal instructions/programmes from.

You could start by visiting the sites of the well known AV programs, and seeing if they have an online scanner. Other than that, do you know anyone who cleans up computers.. and knows what they're doing!?

Occasionally though, the best (sometimes only) way to get really cleaned up is to reformat.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was afraid you were going to say that! I have no idea how to do that. I've tried doing a system restore (is that the same thing?) but it won't work. Looks like I'm off to the computer shop!

PS: thanks for your help, Michelle!

Edited by Michelle

Reformatting is wiping everything and reinstalling windows. If your computer came with a CD it's actually not too difficult, but you do lose everything saved on there.

It's such a shame it's affecting kaspersky, because I've found that really useful before when I cleaned up a computer. My mum's elderly neighbour had downloaded something, and her son decided that he could sort it - he downloaded all sorts of rogue anti-spyware programmes, and created havoc! I eventually sorted it, but it was time consuming.

Now I must sleep! Sorry I couldn't find you a complete solution!

Reformatting is wiping everything and reinstalling windows. If your computer came with a CD it's actually not too difficult, but you do lose everything saved on there.

Hur, hur, hur - provided all the drivers re-install correctly when everything comes back up again, and then you have the endless hours of fun downloading all the MS updates and installing them as well . . .

If you don't know what you are doing, make sure you have someone on hand that can help you.

If you are feeling brave, and do decide to have a go, the most important thing to do when re-installing Windows is to get your internet connection* back up again as soon as possible, as that gives you access to drivers from the internet should Windows not recognise components, and you can also shout for help on here!

*Be sure to make a note of your internet connection settings before you start the re-install, it makes things a lot easier!

Stay away from PC world. Thats like asking your butcher to cut your dog's nails.

Take it to a local place - it will be cheaper, quicker and theres every chance they might actually do it properly. DO NOT Let them sell you Vista.

The main thing I didn't like about Vista when I first got it a couple of months ago (after my old computer crashed and burned) was the fact that a lot of my software (ie Photoshop) wasn't compatibile which meant I then had to go and buy updated versions of the software which was a bit of a pain, but other than that I don't mind it so much.

Beef, what don't you like about Vista? We use vista at work & I like it.

I've heard a lot of bad reports about vista and then again I've heard some good ones. My OH has windows xp professional and I have vista. I have to say I really like vista, he doesn't. There are a few applications it won't run but there are ways around it. If he borrows my lappy he cracks up at vista but yet I can use his xp because its what I was taught on. Other than this I have had no problems with vista. I think it just comes down to personal choice and what you get used to. Having said that .. I'm no computer expert .. just sticking my oar in! ;)

Good luck Ceinwenn ... this is an awful thing to happen :)

Thanks Charm! I really hope that we can get it fixed & that it doesn't cost an arm & a leg to do so. OH is really hoping it just dies so I'll let him go buy a mac, but I hate macs. "I'm a PC" (now there's an annoying advert!)

The main thing I didn't like about Vista when I first got it a couple of months ago (after my old computer crashed and burned) was the fact that a lot of my software (ie Photoshop) wasn't compatibile which meant I then had to go and buy updated versions of the software which was a bit of a pain, but other than that I don't mind it so much.

I felt the same, it`s annoying when some things will run, but others won`t, and have to be replaced. I found vista took a bit of getting used to, I don`t mind it now, but I`m not sure whether I`d choose it again. :)

:)

What I dont like about vista:

It's bloated, the same thing on the same hardware is slower on vista

the "security privileges " (read: a un-secure version of a sudo function)

lack of backwards compatibility* (*not in all cases, but in a lot)

Microsoft has announced the latest Windows release will not be limited, after the initial launch crashed the whole of the Microsoft site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7825111.stm

and some disturbing news today from the BBC news site,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7832652.stm

That doesn't sound good; I remember the update. I hope my security and things will be enough to protect me. :lol:

I have Windows Vista (it came pre-installed on my Sony Vaio) and I kind of hate it and love it. It looks fantastic, and for the most part there's no problems. But it's quirky and it takes away a lot of the user's control. There aren't even the simply delete/move to/copy to buttons on the windows! BF had to find a tweak for me to at least add these options to my right click menu. I'm thinking of going back to XP. :D